Help With Planning A Controller for Remote Sump

Curley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to jump into tank controllers and I need a little help with the system design.

While I will take advantage of some automation, my primary reason for the controller will be monitoring and redundancy. Currently, I am thinking of using an Apex at the sump for the following:
  • Return pump control;
  • Secondary control for heaters;
  • Controlling skimmer on/off related to return pump state;
  • Automatic water changes; and
  • Possibly UV sterilizer?

Here is what I’m looking for guidance with…

I have a remote sump that is about 35’ away from the display tank. The two are connected by plumbing that runs through the foundation. I’m thinking about running a cable via one of the drain lines to link the apex to things at the display. This really is the only option as there is no attic access that connects the two areas.

First question, anyone see an issue with this? Yes it is a foreign body within the drain line that could build up with algae and perhaps increase the likelihood of a clog. I’m not that worried about this as the lines are 1.5” and I have 2 primary drains for the system.

If I link up the display tank, here is what I am considering using the controller for:
  • Flow meters on my return lines;
  • Using display water temp to regulate heaters (at least as a failsafe);
  • Syncing powerheads with the return pump for a one-button feed mode;
  • Possibly flow meter on my emergency drain to turn off return pump (it can be plumbed to a floor drain, not the sump).

Question two is do y’all think the above functionality is worth running the cable for? Pros/cons?

And finally, what else have I not considered for additional functions for automation/control at the display?

Thanks in advance!

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to run a wire. Just use a tablet for the display and go wireless. Depending on equipment of course (lights and powerheads)

OP
OP
Curley

Curley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to run a wire. Just use a tablet for the display and go wireless.
I don’t understand.

How would the Apex control the powerheads if they aren’t connected?

How would the Apex read input from a temperature probe at the display without a physical connection?

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is wireless. Connect through Apex Fusion and control anything you want hooked up to the Apex. Control it through your phone, PC, tablet etc.. If you use powerheads that are are wireless (ecotech) or lights that are wireless (ecotech or Aqua Illumination) You would have no need to run any cables from tank to Sump. You how ever need to open a couple other apps on your phone.....

OP
OP
Curley

Curley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is wireless. Connect through Apex Fusion and control anything you want hooked up to the Apex.

Yes, I understand that I can interface with Apex wirelessly using a phone or tablet. However, I was under the impression that components that I want to gather data from (e.g. flow monitors, temperature probes) and others I want to control (e.g. power to the powerbeads) need a physical connection to the apex brain.

Are you saying this is not the case? Components can wirelessly connect back to the Apex controller via wifi?

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run a wire, (the apex is only wireless for internet connectivity) I love my 10 conductor that I ran for my remote setup. At the very least run a 4 conductor for aquabus so you can expand things later tank side on your apex without needing additional wires. if you run through the drain line you might want to look into a silicone cable, or a direct bury PVC type cable if it is going to be in contact with the salt water.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option for running the cable, I know you mentioned no attic access between the 2 locations, but is it possible to run along the outside of the house? maybe bury some conduit, (or even just using direct bury cable) and go into the house at a convenient location. that's how I ended up running network cabling for cameras, and internet to my detached garage.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back