Help

Nicholas234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a blue tang a few weeks ago and I noticed that it got this black area, it isn’t on the other side so does anyone know what it is or how to cure it?

11478AFA-EE16-4630-AFBC-C959E28BA976.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just bought a blue tang a few weeks ago and I noticed that it got this black area, it isn’t on the other side so does anyone know what it is or how to cure it?

Its hard to see with fish out of water and on a metal strainer, if it flaps can do damage but to address your concerns, it is either bacterial or what I believe is hyper-melanization which originates from a sting from anemone or euphyllia coral. Other would be punctures from an urchin but hard to tell with fish out of water

OP
OP
N

Nicholas234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to see with fish out of water and on a metal strainer, if it flaps can do damage but to address your concerns, it is either bacterial or what I believe is hyper-melanization which originates from a sting from anemone or euphyllia coral. Other would be punctures from an urchin but hard to tell with fish out of water
So what would you recommend to do other than remove the anemone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

With spots just on one side, that does lean towards a coral or anemone sting - parasites almost always attach to a fish in a random fashion. Spots on one side but not the other isn't random.

Fish sometimes learn to stay away from the corals and anemones causing the stings, but really, fish don't have strong pain receptors, so they don't learn from being stung like mammals do.

What species of anemone do you have?

Jay

OP
OP
N

Nicholas234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

With spots just on one side, that does lean towards a coral or anemone sting - parasites almost always attach to a fish in a random fashion. Spots on one side but not the other isn't random.

Fish sometimes learn to stay away from the corals and anemones causing the stings, but really, fish don't have strong pain receptors, so they don't learn from being stung like mammals do.

Jay
I have a bubble tip anemone

OP
OP
N

Nicholas234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
It died In going to quit what do I do with my stuff

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back