View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 25 Lagoon and have 4 fish at the moment

2x Clownfish
1x Pygmy Cherub Angelfish
1x Rainford Goby

I have had the Angelfish and Clowns for over 3 months now and have tried to add 3 new fish to the tank since. Every time I add a fish the Cherub Angel attacks and harasses the new fish non stop. Both times I have had to take back the fish so the Cherub wouldn’t kill it, and it is currently doing the same thing to the new Rainford goby. Should I just get rid of the Angel? I love how active and colorful it is, but I want more fish and I know every time I get a new fish the angelfish will chase it around nonstop. Don’t know what to do!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size tank is likely making the angel aggressive, they are territorial and its even worse in small tanks like that, I would re home if you want other fish

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size tank is likely making the angel aggressive, they are territorial and its even worse in small tanks like that, I would re home if you want other fish
Is there another fish that is just as active but a lot more peaceful?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 25 Lagoon and have 4 fish at the moment

2x Clownfish
1x Pygmy Cherub Angelfish
1x Rainford Goby

I have had the Angelfish and Clowns for over 3 months now and have tried to add 3 new fish to the tank since. Every time I add a fish the Cherub Angel attacks and harasses the new fish non stop. Both times I have had to take back the fish so the Cherub wouldn’t kill it, and it is currently doing the same thing to the new Rainford goby. Should I just get rid of the Angel? I love how active and colorful it is, but I want more fish and I know every time I get a new fish the angelfish will chase it around nonstop. Don’t know what to do!
Since the angel has established it's territory, it will be difficult to add more fish without either removing the angel temporarily or rearranging the rock scape (or both). I'm guessing you don't have a sump... If you DO, put the angel there for a week or 2 after adding new fish to the main tank. If you don't, alternatives to this are to use an acclimation box for the angel or to put it in another tank (again, temporarily). Rearranging the rocks will make all the fish "homeless" with regards to territory, and new fish will have a better chance of finding a safe spot before the angel claims it...

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another fish that is just as active but a lot more peaceful?
For that size tank maybe a possum wrasse, royal grammas are colorful, some people say they hide in the rocks, mine is pretty active. Blennies are fun!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal said can work, angels can be pretty nasty, even the little cherub (I know they look sooo freaking cute!) lol. Damsels are active but to be added last since they are also buttholes
There are already 2 damsels im the tank. I would not recommend adding more. (Clowns and damsels are in the same taxonomic family)

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the angel has established it's territory, it will be difficult to add more fish without either removing the angel temporarily or rearranging the rock scape (or both). I'm guessing you don't have a sump... If you DO, put the angel there for a week or 2 after adding new fish to the main tank. If you don't, alternatives to this are to use an acclimation box for the angel or to put it in another tank (again, temporarily). Rearranging the rocks will make all the fish "homeless" with regards to territory, and new fish will have a better chance of finding a safe spot before the angel claims it...
The cherub likes to go to one spot at night, but really goes all around throughout the day. I really think he thinks it’s all his “territory “. I also dokt want to move a lot of the rock work…

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals are pretty active too and peaceful! Dottybacks are also active, can be aggressive but Ive added mine last and he is a captive bred and Ive had nonissues with him

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cherub likes to go to one spot at night, but really goes all around throughout the day. I really think he thinks it’s all his “territory “. I also dokt want to move a lot of the rock work…
Then I guess you have your answer.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or leave the tank as is, 4 fish in a 25 gallon is fine, especially since the recommended tank size for Pygmy Cherub Angelfish is 50 gallons. The tank is maxed out for fish, focus on corals. Even without the anglefish you shouldn't have more than 4-5 fish in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back