Hey errybody

TD2K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill @ Custom Reef Creations told me about this forum. I'm a member of dallasmas.org forum and also reef central, but hey, what's 1 more right? At least here I can get to know some fellow okies!

I've had a 55 reef for about 10 years, currently we're in the process of a 225 custom build. So far we have the tank, stand, skimmer, pump, and just recently I finished the refugium build. We also just finished DIY LED lights for the 55. It was our "learner" lights, before we tackle the big ones. Once we get everything moved over to the 225 we'll use the 55 as a quarantine and grow out tank.

Bill had some really nice frags in his shop, it was hard not to go completely crazy. I brought home 4 new ones, want to take the new LEDs for a spin! Don't worry, he cautioned us to turn them down for a few days to acclimate.

He also loaned us his PAR meter, so we were able to take some readings with the new lights. Hubby is working on a photoshop pic right now of the readings, we will post soon.

For now, here are a few pics of our 225 and 'fuge:

20110924125843604.jpg

20110924122025737.jpg

20120425184139879.jpg

20120425184120136.jpg

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Congrats on the upgrade. Will you also have a hospital tank as well as the 55? It may not be a good idea to have a frag/ grow out tank and then need to treat a fish in there as well. Can't wait to see this come together! :) Keep us updated on this for sure.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is the open section on the bottom left of the sump? I haven't seen anything like that before.

OP
OP
TD2K

TD2K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I'll probably pick up a couple of 10 or 20 gal tank to go underneath the 55 to use as a hospital.

It's a freshwater reservoir for an auto top off. I figured since the skimmer could only be in about 8" of water, the space underneath would have been wasted otherwise. It's about 15 gal capacity.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Welcome
2. Awesome tank
3. Sweet sump!

Welcome to R2R! Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

OP
OP
TD2K

TD2K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one overflow will dump into the skimmer section and the other will go into the fuge section, so I shouldn't have a problem with too much water in the small skimmer compartment. I have a slot cut to drain into the fuge, can always drill a few more holes for flow as necessary. I'm sure I'll have some adjustments to make once I get it all plumbed.

The fuge is 60 gal, with 30 gal of space for "overflow", then the 15 gal freshwater for top off.

OP
OP
TD2K

TD2K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is 30"W x 72"L x 24"T with starphire glass on front and sides, PVC bottom, dual overflow. It was built by Planet Aquariums in Dallas, they did awesome work.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love that sump! That's awesome! The tank is going to be amazing. Will it be stocked tomorrow :)

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few more hours left in the day ;)

exoticcoralfrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you get me planet aquariums contact info??? I have sent several emails stating I would like to rep their tanks and no response. Maybe its time to call, and since I cant find any contact info online other than email I was hoping you would have that

OP
OP
TD2K

TD2K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dealt with them directly until delivery, I had my LFS make the initial contact and place the order. They seemed like really nice guys though, helped carry it in and get it onto the stand.

I also had them make my stand. I'm sure they farmed it out, but it's great quality as well.

One of the guys on dallasmas had originally given me their info. His post is below:

"I had all my Tanks built by Planet Aquarium. They are in Dallas.You can email them at [email protected]
or call the 214-275-3958 "

CustomReefCreations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this custom tank is SICK!!!!!! And right after I am making posts about having the pimp sumps I get one upped. HAHA
I am so impressed that I contacted the company today to talk about matching custom tanks for the shop to replace the 220's.

OP
OP
TD2K

TD2K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's awesome. I hope they can help you out, they sure did nice work on mine.

you're welcome to come by and look at it if you want, just let a sister know.

while your there, I might even let you help me with the plumbing. ;)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back