OP
OP
RWoodham

RWoodham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hes our test fish and we hope he will be okay. my fiance wants to get this fish..
Mandarin Fish (1).jpg

but we will wait on him.. I read tat Mandarin Dragonets are hard to take care of.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins need a well established tank because like humming birds they have a super high metabolism so they eat almost every waking moment. They eat the little pods that live on the live rock so you need to wait for them to establish a good population. It is also best to have a refugium for the pods to reproduce in safety. I would strongly suggest a captive raised mandarin like those from ORA they are more expensive but have a much better survival rate. They will be easier to care for as well.

OP
OP
RWoodham

RWoodham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea we might get rid of our crabs,, they are eating our soft coral, no matter how hard i try to make sure they dont.. they end up doing it anyway.. and if i can catch the pistol shrimp we are going to get rid of him too.. the guy at our pet store said he will take them for his tanks.. so, at least they will go to a good home. i told my fiance that we should wait about 6 months for our tank to be in good shape for the dragonets, and with that we will have just soft coral with one fish.. i think our bio-load is to much for our tank as it is.. i did some water tests this morning, and the results werent bad, but they werent great..

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The down side of nanos... how often are you doing your water changes? I would look at some of the nano gobies. Lots of personality in a fun size package. A candy cane pistol would also be an appropriate choice. They stay tiny so don't become bullies like the larger pistols.

OP
OP
RWoodham

RWoodham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The down side of nanos... how often are you doing your water changes? I would look at some of the nano gobies. Lots of personality in a fun size package. A candy cane pistol would also be an appropriate choice. They stay tiny so don't become bullies like the larger pistols.
we were doing a WC every week. but our nitrites were off the charts.. And now, they are okay our ammonia is a little high. But we may not have enough bacteria to eat it.. dont the Candy cane shrimp eat the bad stuff off the rocks? if i remember correctly

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thinking peppermint shrimp. Candy canes are a species of pistol shrimp that only reaches 2 inches. This small size makes them a safe choice as far as pistol shrimp go. How long ago did your tank finish it's cycle?

OP
OP
RWoodham

RWoodham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thinking peppermint shrimp. Candy canes are a species of pistol shrimp that only reaches 2 inches. This small size makes them a safe choice as far as pistol shrimp go. How long ago did your tank finish it's cycle?
Thank you, sorry for the confusion. now here's a question.. Do fire shrimp(cleaning shrimp) push the sand out from the bottom of the live rocks? My pistol shrimp did and we caught him and gave him to a good home.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, sorry for the confusion. now here's a question.. Do fire shrimp(cleaning shrimp) push the sand out from the bottom of the live rocks? My pistol shrimp did and we caught him and gave him to a good home.

nope they sure don't, they're cool little critters though, they will eat and clean right off your hand.
i would wait till you get your water a little more stable before adding inverts like them. They're more sensitive than crabs so shaky parameters will stress em out.

OP
OP
RWoodham

RWoodham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay were doing another WC Saturday, due to the fact we lowered our bio-load. so I know theres going to be spikes all over the place. and we are going to wait for a little while longer.. were going to let our soft coral do its thing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back