High NO3 and PO4

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
Can corals feel bad because of phosphates of 1 ppm and NO3 ~100?
Ca, kH, Mg and another micro are normal (I have received ICP test).
Thank you.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1ppm phosphate is an acceptable level for many reefs. 100ppm nitrate is not. The nitrate needs to go down, the phosphate is probably fine for now.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Phosguard?

Seachem Phosguard is very good, I had success with that, just put it in a media bag, and put it in your sump, no need for a reactor, just retest in a week, and you can pick up phosguard and bag at petsmart for less than 10 bucks.​

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phosguard works, yes. The question here isn't if it works, it's if it's a good idea.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's probably better to only touch one parameter at a time if possible, though, and the nitrate is a much bigger concern at that level. That's very high nitrates, and only somewhat high phosphates.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably better to only touch one parameter at a time if possible, though, and the nitrate is a much bigger concern at that level. That's very high nitrates, and only somewhat high phosphates.
Not with something
Not with something mild like phosguard it;s ok to do combo treatment because you are not adding two knockouts together, of course you have to treat Nitrates, there are many treatments out there, the key is testing and follow up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Phosguard combats po4 and what about high nitrogen?
Water changes doesn’t work. I did 2x in a week WC 20%, but no one chance to reduce it.
I’m thinking about algae (cheto) filter in the sump. Will it absorb both nitrates and phosphates at the same time?

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Phosguard combats po4 and what about high nitrogen?
Water changes doesn’t work. I did 2x in a week WC 20%, but no one chance to reduce it.
I’m thinking about algae (cheto) filter in the sump. Will it absorb both nitrates and phosphates at the same time?
do water changes again twice a week at 25%, keep doing it till it comes down, it will come down, and add a water Clarifier to it, I would not use Cheto in the sump till you have Nitrates in range, then it should maintain it good.

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chaeto and other algae uses up both nitrates and phosphates, yes. Water changes are generally a good way to remove excess nutrients. Also, identify why they got so high in the first place, and prevent that happening again.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped water changes because of the appearance of cyanobacteria on the live rocks. Now I'm also add the chemiclean.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chemiclean isn't going to help anything. You're just dumping poison into the tank instead of fixing the issue that's led to the cyano. Get your tank back in order, and the cyano will sort itself out nicely.

Cyano often occurs because of an imbalance in the tank, or because the water being used to start with is insufficiently pure. Although keeping nutrients at a good level will help beneficial algae beat it out, allowing nutrient levels to run wildly amok is trading one problem for another.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean isn't going to help anything. You're just dumping poison into the tank instead of fixing the issue that's led to the cyano. Get your tank back in order, and the cyano will sort itself out nicely.

Cyano often occurs because of an imbalance in the tank, or because the water being used to start with is insufficiently pure. Although keeping nutrients at a good level will help beneficial algae beat it out, allowing nutrient levels to run wildly amok is trading one problem for another.
Do you know the composition of Chemiclean?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's an antibiotic. It kills cyanobacteria, after all. And even if it was something that killed cyano and only cyano, that won't fix the problem that led to the cyano bloom, which means it'll be back sooner or later.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an antibiotic. It kills cyanobacteria, after all. And even if it was something that killed cyano and only cyano, that won't fix the problem that led to the cyano bloom, which means it'll be back sooner or later.

Thank you!
What about pellet reactors? :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back