Hospital tank setup.

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Can I still use my protein skimmer when mediating my fish.

Regards.
Michael.

If your using any sort of medication you can't use it. Once the medication time is up and you want to take it out you can but I still probably wouldn't because it's going to over react and spew water out of the top and get everywhere. Can't use it for hypo salinity. It's a hospital (QT) tank it doesn't need a skimmer besides what I just pointed out lol the fish isn't going to there forever and more then likely it's going to be a small tank so doing WC's will do perfectly fine and be a negligible amount of more money to just do WC's.

OP
OP
Pewmichael

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using any sort of medication you can't use it. Once the medication time is up and you want to take it out you can but I still probably wouldn't because it's going to over react and spew water out of the top and get everywhere. Can't use it for hypo salinity. It's a hospital (QT) tank it doesn't need a skimmer besides what I just pointed out lol the fish isn't going to there forever and more then likely it's going to be a small tank so doing WC's will do perfectly fine and be a negligible amount of more money to just do WC's.

Hi Anthony,
That's for the advise.
Regards
Michael.

OP
OP
Pewmichael

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 No need to use a skimmer in a QT. HOB filter, heater, ammonia alert badge, places to hide and maybe an airstone.... that's all ya need :)

Im using Coppramine and it suggests that you should redose in 48 hrs as required. If so, would you recommend that i do a 50 % or 100% water change between doses. Utube videos dont actually metion this. Im thinking 3/4 water change every 48 hrs.
Yours thoughts.
Regards
Michael.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using Coppramine and it suggests that you should redose in 48 hrs as required. If so, would you recommend that i do a 50 % or 100% water change between doses. Utube videos dont actually metion this. Im thinking 3/4 water change every 48 hrs.
Yours thoughts.
Regards
Michael.

Dont follow the dosing instructions on the bottle to a T. The directions tell you how to get the copper level up all the way in just a day or two. Sometimes people report that their copper level was already at .5 after the first dose! That's too quickly for most fish and they can get very sick and stressed from it. You want to take about 5 days to bring the copper levels up to therapeutic range. What I did, was dosed the first dose ( a little under) then tested to be sure it was right. Then I did daily 5 gallon water changes on the tank (40 breeder) and dosed the copper appropriately to each new 5 gallons. This raised the levels very slowly while keeping the water nice and clean. I tested every day to be sure I knew exactly where the copper was at.

OP
OP
Pewmichael

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont follow the dosing instructions on the bottle to a T. The directions tell you how to get the copper level up all the way in just a day or two. Sometimes people report that their copper level was already at .5 after the first dose! That's too quickly for most fish and they can get very sick and stressed from it. You want to take about 5 days to bring the copper levels up to therapeutic range. What I did, was dosed the first dose ( a little under) then tested to be sure it was right. Then I did daily 5 gallon water changes on the tank (40 breeder) and dosed the copper appropriately to each new 5 gallons. This raised the levels very slowly while keeping the water nice and clean. I tested every day to be sure I knew exactly where the copper was at.
Hi again,
Forgot to mention, when the fish look good again (no spots) how long should I keep them in the hospital tank. I've read people leave them in for up to 30 days. Isn't that a bit long?

Regards
Michael.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again,
Forgot to mention, when the fish look good again (no spots) how long should I keep them in the hospital tank. I've read people leave them in for up to 30 days. Isn't that a bit long?

Regards
Michael.

When treating with copper we generally suggest keeping in the copper at therapeutic range , for a full 30 days. If the level drops below that range you have to start the clock over again.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 196 70.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back