How am I doing? I’m new to the hobby!

Kstetics6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I’m new to this hobby, I love it and was put onto by a friend
So I set my tank up with water a week ago today, sand wasn’t alive but added live rock then water ontop obviously.
I let this sit until today where I decided to test
7.8PH
0 Ammonia
.50 nitrite
0-5 nitrate
I read online if ammonia is 0 and there is nitrite/nitrate the nitrogen cycle is working and breaking the waste down? I might’ve worded improperly…
I haven’t added any nitrifying bacteria
Did add some tigger pods 2 days ago as I read/heard they could be good for tank health. Thanks!!!

IMG_4572.jpeg
IMG_4573.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!

That doesn’t look like live rock to me, where did you buy it and how was it advertised? How did you start your cycle?

I like your stand, looks very sturdy!

OP
OP
K

Kstetics6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!

That doesn’t look like live rock to me, where did you buy it and how was it advertised? How did you start your cycle?

Haha thank you I made the stand. The rock is live, I bought it out of a reef system at a local coral shop.
The one to the right seems to have some algae growth on the side aswell.
Thank you for responding

OP
OP
K

Kstetics6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!

Welcome!!!

and
Welcome!!!

but yea it doesn’t look like it has much of anything live on it but did come from a pre established tank so idk. And nothing for the cycle. I’ve just added the live rock, filter media which is carbon ammonia and a sponge and tigger pods

FellowSclownfish20270

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I also began with a Coralife LED light in my first year for my 20 Gallon salt water tank only, never knew anything about PAR or the basics of reef chemistry such as Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Phosphates, Ammonia, nitrate, etc.
The mistake that i've done with that light was thinking it had enough PAR for a Bubble Tip Anemone which it never had the amount of PAR I wished it had when I bought the BTA in the beginning.. sadly I tried this twice without knowing my mistake and crashed my 20 gallon. But just letting you know to do research about the Reef Chemistry Basics!

I'm finally getting a hang of this fish keeping hobby within 2 years!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 22.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 102 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back