How big of an on off range are you using

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that I don't constantly have heaters, ozone, constantly clicking on and off I have a bit of a spread in my on off settings. How big of a spread are you guys using? My heater is 80.5-81, ozone 340-350, when I look at my graph I do have a sawtooth line, thinking may be better to tighten this up some.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing with those Apex graphs. The more jagged or 'stepped' the curve is, the tighter the control. This is because the scale adjust to the recent range of values, and with tight control, you can see the individual steps.

Here's a current screencap from one of my systems. I control my temp fairly tightly, and therefore those graphs are the most jagged. pH and ORP vary during the day and night, and so their graphs are smoother. The salinity probe varies more than one would expect, due to electrical interference, microbubbles and other factors; this is a known issue with the Neptune conductivity probe design.

(The first ph graph has tiny spikes because I have a kalk reactor that dispenses a small amount of kalk every 30 minutes, and this probe is in the sump after the reactor. The pH2 graph doesn't have these spikes because its probe is in the overflow.)

So, basically, at a glance you can tell that your control of a parameter has been tight during the last 24 hours if the trace is jagged such that you easily see the individual steps.

Clipboard01b.jpg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 33 21.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back