How can a controller help in the hobby? Is it worth it?

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(For any system with net access)

you need to have your own router behind the cable modem. so you can run Dyndns or another dynamic service since you home IP is dynamic. I use DynDns.org. you need to pay for it annually now. then you need to map a port in your firewall to open it so outside traffic can get inside and direct that port to the Statically set IP of your Net module. Since Comcast blocks all of the standard ports unless you pay $$ (they don't tell you this), I use a non standard port # or my system. I arbitrrily use 7901 because I wanted to keep secure web ports for router access

(reef-keeper specific info here)
once you get that setup, then you can do some programming of the system from the web. You can control each channel From the web, setup logging and RSS feeds, but you Cannot adjust the time or timers or alarms. You MUST enable net control on the head unit.

there is good info on the Digital aquatics forums. I pass thru there regularly.

OK. sorry about the side bar.. back to the OP and how a controller can help you with your tank....
Thanks!

Allen

(Sorry about hijacking the thread temporarily.)

OP
OP
Chetrod

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome information on here. This is the type of info you don't really get unless they are discussed. I like the Idea of the Controller and reading about the uses on here, knowing all the equipment that can be replaced seems as the cost of the controller can be justified with the sale of a lot of the equipment.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome information on here. This is the type of info you don't really get unless they are discussed. I like the Idea of the Controller and reading about the uses on here, knowing all the equipment that can be replaced seems as the cost of the controller can be justified with the sale of a lot of the equipment.

Totally agree with you.

Allen

YodaHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for 13 years and have just recently bought an APEX controller when I upgraded from a 40 to a 120. It's pretty amazing and a huge change from not having one. I have much finer control over my system now than I ever had before. I currently keep my temperature within 0.7 degrees using fans. When the tank was originally setup I had it hovering around 78, but recently decided to increase it one degree. This would have been very difficult without a controller.

I also control many other things with the APEX
Dimming 4-channel DIY LED setup
Controlling 2 jebao RW-8's including sync/anti-sync with modes changing throughout the day
Fans for cooling - 2 levels, one in the canopy and another over the sump that come on for different temperature levels
Heater for warming
Skimmer Neck Cleaner
Moonlights
Will be adding a remote skimmate container that will turn off the skimmer when full and send text message to alert me

I wouldn't be able to do any of these very easily without the controller. Some added benefits are text messages when the tank parameters are off for some reason and the ability to monitor the tank from anywhere in the world, including web cam support. The ability to turn on/off things with my phone makes water changes much easier and gives me the ability to fix issues even when I'm not at home. If the skimmer is overflowing I can easily shut it off from anywhere.

It's a big investment for something that you may think you won't use much, but you find many other uses for it once you have it. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an EE by schooling, I'm all for tech. But I must say that the auto-biological control of a reef pond seems easier. Maybe ATO could be handled, or the lights, but ponds are pretty indestructible when they operate naturally as-is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 97 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back