How can I not run my sump?

AdamK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an aqua one reefsys 326.

I like the tank, and it's running nicely now, but I hate the sump layout. I've modded it already to run a roller mat, but it's still so impractical.

I've 2 options.

1. Drain the sump, remove the baffles, refit new baffles to my spec, and fill it back up again.

2. Get a new sump.

Problem is, option 1 requires me to drain, dry, and work on the sump with silicone which will take a day or more to cure. Option 2 could be done in an hour, but requires me to remove the central wodden support to swap out the sumps. Both options could be potentially catastrophic.

I'd rather replace the whole thing to be honest. I can really customise it then, but I don't know if taking out the brace is a good idea. If I can't remove that, what would you do to overcome the fact that it basically won't have a sump for a few days? It'd be such a mission to run all the hardware, doses, etc in the display for a few days. Hard to see any other options though.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that's about what you would have to do. You can put the heater in the display, and drop the water level just a little so it doesn't try to drain.

Depending on what you're dosing, if it is needed, you can dose above a powerhead.

Or you could manually dose for a few days.

That said, I would NOT remove that brace. If you needed to, you would need to drain the main tank and have the brace added back before adding water again. There is a risk as well that something with the brace breaks, then you're really in a spot...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whichever option you choose, you can easily support the tank for 2-3 days without the sump.

A few HOB filters, heater in the display and powerhead will be ok for short term work.

OP
OP
A

AdamK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've emailed Aquaone asking if it's safe to revolve the central brace for 10 mins. If I can it'll be a simple swap to a new sump. If not it'll have to be the diy in situ option.

Also seriously considering a couple of small acrojacks and a strip of 2x4 or steel under the front edge or the tank. That way I can do what I like with the brace.

Note to anyone buying an Aquaone reef sys. Skip or mod the sump before you install anything! The sump layout is pure junk!!

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't remove the brace without support.. two farm jacks to either side with a piece of wood running to each jack. get the 2x4 under the cross brace, then remove center brace.

PITA but doable.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back