How can I raise PH?

Nolan Cash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got and setup an Aquatop 40 AIO about a week ago.. did some research and talked to my LFS and came to the conclusion to add love rock, sand, and active media. I let the tank run for 48 hours and added two clowns and 5 hermits to help the cycling process.

I do water tests about every day. The fish and crabs seem very healthy and are eating as normal. The water tests come back and say that my PH is at 7.4 according to API.. i tested two days in a row and got the same result.

I did some research and tried an easy solution of opening my window a bit and running a fan in the room, since the tank is in a basement, it doesn’t get a lot of airflow.

PH is still at about 7.4.. any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got and setup an Aquatop 40 AIO about a week ago.. did some research and talked to my LFS and came to the conclusion to add love rock, sand, and active media. I let the tank run for 48 hours and added two clowns and 5 hermits to help the cycling process.

I do water tests about every day. The fish and crabs seem very healthy and are eating as normal. The water tests come back and say that my PH is at 7.4 according to API.. i tested two days in a row and got the same result.

I did some research and tried an easy solution of opening my window a bit and running a fan in the room, since the tank is in a basement, it doesn’t get a lot of airflow.

API tests are not amazing. Do you have any other means of testing? Would you be able to bring a water sample to your LFS for testing?

Upvote 0

faketaxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a tester that is accurate? My LFS is not much of a LFS as it is 45 minutes away lol.
Hanna makes a ph tester like the salinity one that you can dip into the tank for around $50. I have no opinion as I have not used it personally, but having used other Hanna testers I have nothing bad to say about the brand, gets the job done for me.

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I will also note that if your salinity and alkalinity are where they should be, I really doubt your ph is that low. Highly recommend making an investment in either Hanna or Salifert test kits. They’ll pay for themselves and save you money in the long run by giving you accurate results

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the pH of 7.4 is likely test error. I also would not worry about pH in a week old tank.

I would not use any pH test kit since there's no easy way to validate them for accuracy.

A decent pH meter might be useful in the future, but it's not a "now" need.

This has a lot more:

Upvote 0

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • NO

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back