How do I get a Harlequintusk fish to eat

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Harlequintusk that I have had for about 10 days now, and I have not been able to get him to eat. i have tried live food, shrimp and squid soaked in garlic but he still wont eat. He is looking pretty weak and I fear he wont last much longer. Any suggestions?

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us a little about your system. Size? Filtering system? Water parameters?

there's more to getting a fish to eat than just bringing it home from the LFS. Did you see him eat at the LFS?

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a 90 gallon tank with 2 bannerfish. Water parameters are all in check.
ph. 8.2
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
I bought the fish online and he was supposedly eating. When he arrived there was a leak in the bag and there was barely enough water in there for him to lay sideways in. I drip acclimated him for about 3 hours and then put him in the tank. the 90 is a temporary home. He was for my friend who is setting up a 300 FOWLR. He will be tearing down his 150 and his 90. My tank is the quarintine tank if you may. I put all 3 fish in together.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try mysis if you have not already. And if you get a fish in a cup of water DON’T acclimate it for more than 10 minutes if that. I have literally acclimated thousands of fish. I know everyone has their opinion on acclamation Not trying to go off topic. Make sure your wrasse has a place to hide and try to feed and then move far away from the tank. Is there any other behavior that is out of the ordinary?

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that they need a long acclimation period. Any way he has plenty of places to hide. I have tried mysis, brine, Krill, squid, sand eels, and a variety of live food. I will try to feed him again and get out of the way. Up until the last two days he was swimming around normal and he was very active. All of yesterday he was hiding and so I thought that he was dead but this morning he is out again. He still looks weak though. I don't think that he will last much longer. Wish me luck.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in a few of my customers tanks and never have had a problem with them eating and I don't think one of them spent more than 10 min in the bag before going in the tank. I would guess the one you got was not eating when they sent it to you it may not have eaten since it was in the ocean. Sorry about the bad luck hope he starts eating soon.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, thats what I was thinking. Any way thanks for the advice. I just did a water change so we will see if that helps anything. Like I said though the water condition was very good to begin with. Thanks again

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back