How do i measure how much water im taking from my tank?

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get the custom 5 gallon buckets from BRS. They sell for $13.99 though and I wouldn’t trust the plastic handle long term.

1699254618251.jpeg

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never measure how much I remove or add, I siphon directly to the utility sink and then pump water back from my mixing station. Once the water hits the overflow I cut power to the mixing station pump. If I need a bit more I top up after the system is back online.

Always good to mark your offline and online water levels in your sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi! I am wondering what everyone uses to measure how much water they take from their tank during water changes? I am using 5 gallon pails but keep thinking there has to be a better way? Any ideas?
I use a automatic unit but when I went conventional, I would empty into a 2.5g or 5 gallon pail and kept track of how many pails. In most cases, I filled two 5 gallon pails so would be 10 gallons to restore

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off my return pump and start some other tank maintenance for five minutes. I come back and make sure the painters tape on the sump is marking the same level. If not I take a salinity measurement and make sure nothings too far off. Then I use my python hose to drain my sump
Either 10 gal (1 chamber) or about 20 (the whole sump) depending on the last time I did a water change. Then I open a few calves, flip the switch on my water change pump and refill the sump to the painters tape.

Port City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - why are you wanting to know? (I mean what purpose) - because your answer will change my answer (maybe). Generally speaking - you can measure let’s say 4 gallons in a pail, draw a line, and then you will know how much you're taking out exactly out.

I have a CADE with a built in ATO in back chamber. And every water change I preform the return kicks back on rushes water to display while in return ATO kicks on over drive forcing in a ton of fresh RODI ultimately diluting my fresh 15 gallon salt water. Going I’m in reading .0126 and when the ATO finally kicks off I’m back to my normal Salinity tank reading .0123-.0124.

VECTRA S2 runs on 55 %

Just turn it down after WC to slow flow to catch up?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back