How do you hang 'YOUR' lights? Looking for ideas!!

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I finally ended up with...
image.jpg
How far out from the wall does that sit? Also, how close to the wall is your tank?

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) Yup.. plain old plant hangers.. got em for $12 each at Home Depot .. Worked like a charm :)
Are those garden hooks? They look great, I used garden hooks for mine but yours look better, and more sturdy. Plus I like the decor you've got going on in between them. Where did you get those if you don't mind me asking and how much were they?

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell different sizes.. this one has multiple hook spots, so it is either 8 or 12 in from wall. ( worked perfect for my tank being 19 in wide) I have my tank pretty much against the wall.. maybe like 2 in clearance from the baseboard behind it. I got really lucky too, in that the hanging points on the light when centered lined up exactly on studs in the wall behind.. but you can you use wall anchors ,like I planned to.
How far out from the wall does that sit? Also, how close to the wall is your tank?

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shelf brackets, plywood shelf with openings cut for lights to sit over, and z clips to make whole canopy removable
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1400871212.634812.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this. More info?

Sorry, not sure how I missed this.

I used two AI tank mounts and two AI EXT rails. Drilled holes in the ends of the tank mounts and the center of the rails. Attatched the fixtures to the rails and then screwed them on the tank mounts. Hid the wires with black velcro straps.

Here's a more recent straight on shot.

FTS14-3-30_zps2a543583.jpg

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an existing canopy on my tank when I switched from metal halides to SOL blues and then upgraded to Hydra 52s. I wanted to be able to slide them out of the way, so I used some aluminum tubing with some S hooks and a pair of L brackets from Lowe's on each light.

You can see the charring from the halides. :)

LEDs-001.jpg

With the SOLs...
LEDs-003.jpg

LEDs-004.jpg

And now as Hydra 52s...
DSC03014_zpsf959b7bd.jpg

Last edited:

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good suggestions and most will depend on the look you want. I saw several posts that use jack chain and that's what I use. It's available from home depot with a black finish. I've had it in use for several years over a reef tank with no corrosion so far. It's easy to adjust heights, isn't very noticeable over a well lit tank. Over my 210g tank I ran two aluminum strips across the ceiling and dropped my chains from them. That allows me to hang two rows of lights. I have a floating canopy hung with the same chain that I can raise or lower to hide the lights yet allow me access to the tank top without doing anything and since it's open on the top heat can vent out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back