How has your approach to aquarium keeping evolved since you first started? Any major changes or breakthroughs?

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this can def be helpful for people just starting (I would consider myself here)

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the biggest change since I started ~20 years ago has been the view of nutrients in the water. Back when I started, everyone chased zero zero zero for ammonia, nitrate, phosphate... these days, the prevailing knowledge is that corals and other marine inverts appreciate a moderate and stable level of nitrate and phosphate. The more you know!

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's the obvious metal halide -> T5 -> LED progression.

Then there is filter pads -> socks -> fleece rollers.

And of course the ever ongoing BB <-> sand trend

Targeting high pH vs almost ignoring it.

I think one of the biggest changes is around automated testing and the power that gives us. Especially excited about automated nutrient measurement combined with dosing to control (either manually/semi-automated/automated).

And also as mentioned low but measurable nutrients vs zero nutrients (for us SPS lovers).

One negative trend I've seen over the years is lack of interoperability when it comes to software. Manufacturers need to stop this nonsense and need to work with the aquarium controller makers more. Controller makers also need to allow "plugins" from other equipment manufacturers.

Back