How long can bacto balance be used after opened?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a bottle that was opened 18 months ago and wasn't used since. Is it safe to use?

Thanks

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the bottle closed back tightly after it was open? Do you see any precipitate or "growth" in the bottle? Was the bottle in dark place during this storage period?

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the bottle closed back tightly after it was open? Do you see any precipitate or "growth" in the bottle? Was the bottle in dark place during this storage period?
The bottle was closed normally. I don't see any growth in the bottle and the bottle was in a closed cabinet most of the time during this storage period. The liquid seems to be more on the "purpl-ish" side now, I think it was a bit more pink when when I purchased it, nontheless the liquid seems "clear".

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle was closed normally. I don't see any growth in the bottle and the bottle was in a closed cabinet most of the time during this storage period. The liquid seems to be more on the "purpl-ish" side now, I think it was a bit more pink when when I purchased it, nontheless the liquid seems "clear".
It sounds like it is perfectly fine to use to me.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put it in a clear dosing container or will light/small amounts of air contaminate it?
Light doesn't really "contaminate" it. But just like any other solution with any kind of organic compound in it, the more exposure to light or heat, the sooner you will see some growth of bacteria. So, in generla, keeping it dark and cool will extend shelflife.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back