How long do you let your tank sit fallow after ich

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, do I got my first two fish (clownfish) and two days later one died, it looked like ich but who knows.
Fast forward 5 weeks and ny fish is still alive, healthy and eating well in the tank.
What should I do? Should I get s cheap fish just so see if it survives? Should I wait longer?
This is not a fishless tank and I haven’t treated my fish with medication.
In general if you had ich in the tank, it's probably still there. There are two trains of thought. Ich eradication and ich management. Most people practice ich management, which is where you accept that ich is in the tank, and that every once in a while when a fish is stressed, new fish comes in, or just randomly, a fish will have an outbreak and potentially die.

I personally had a big wipe of around half of my 20 fish, either from ich or velvet, and I said f this, I went fallow for like 3 months (no fish in tank so parasites starve basically) I had my fish in a 30g quarantine with copper, and now I ALWAYS quarantine every fish that comes into my tank so I know I never have to worry about ich. How big is your tank? This might help you determine if fallow, or copper in DT (if no coral or inverts) is worth doing.

Here is a thread by a super OG about the topic: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

Carlosmc151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general if you had ich in the tank, it's probably still there. There are two trains of thought. Ich eradication and ich management. Most people practice ich management, which is where you accept that ich is in the tank, and that every once in a while when a fish is stressed, new fish comes in, or just randomly, a fish will have an outbreak and potentially die.

I personally had a big wipe of around half of my 20 fish, either from ich or velvet, and I said f this, I went fallow for like 3 months (no fish in tank so parasites starve basically) I had my fish in a 30g quarantine with copper, and now I ALWAYS quarantine every fish that comes into my tank so I know I never have to worry about ich. How big is your tank? This might help you determine if fallow, or copper in DT (if no coral or inverts) is worth doing.

Here is a thread by a super OG about the topic: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/
Thanks for your answers.
My tank is small (fluval evo 12.9), it will only fit 4 fish. The next fish is the replacement from the store and then, a gobby and a blenny if the two clownfish are ok. For 4 fish I’m sure if worth quarantining…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back