How long have you had your porcupine puffer for?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And/or what’s the longest confirmed time you know of one living for? I know many places say they have a lifespan of 10-15 years but I have yet to hear about anyone having one for that long. I know many fish tend to die prematurely for a variety of reasons and most fish don’t live as long as they could in captivity. I assume public aquariums are going to have some of the oldest ones. Does anyone how long that is?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Life spans especially in captivity will vary and will depend on environment, water quality, diet, level of stress and the individual fish itself. It would be hard to pinpoint a life span of a fish as it would a human or cat/dog as examples.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had one that lived 11 years, and one that was ten years old and then sent to another facility.

I'm working on an article on lifespans of fish in captivity:

Two demographic measures; life expectancy and lifespan equality, can provide an indicator for welfare. Life expectancy is the average lifespan of animals in a population, while lifespan equality measures the number of deaths due to “old age” relative to life expectancy. In other words, animals experiencing better welfare will demonstrate an above-average life expectancy, as well as having more of the mortalities grouped towards the end of the expected lifespan. Ironically, it is sometimes stated that “dead animals have no welfare consideration”. However, an early death is certainly an indication of poor welfare. Aquarists are often interested in record longevity of their animals – who have kept a given species longer than anyone else? While these records are fascinating, average life expectancy is a more important measure of good husbandry.

Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one that lived 11 years, and one that was ten years old and then sent to another facility.

I'm working on an article on lifespans of fish in captivity:

Two demographic measures; life expectancy and lifespan equality, can provide an indicator for welfare. Life expectancy is the average lifespan of animals in a population, while lifespan equality measures the number of deaths due to “old age” relative to life expectancy. In other words, animals experiencing better welfare will demonstrate an above-average life expectancy, as well as having more of the mortalities grouped towards the end of the expected lifespan. Ironically, it is sometimes stated that “dead animals have no welfare consideration”. However, an early death is certainly an indication of poor welfare. Aquarists are often interested in record longevity of their animals – who have kept a given species longer than anyone else? While these records are fascinating, average life expectancy is a more important measure of good husbandry.

Jay
That’s amazing!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Life spans especially in captivity will vary and will depend on environment, water quality, diet, level of stress and the individual fish itself. It would be hard to pinpoint a life span of a fish as it would a human or cat/dog as examples.
How long is the longest you’ve had one for or known of one living?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay that’s good makes me feel like Hewbie is on the right track for growth. I know most probably won’t get to the full 20 inches in captivity as various factors play a role. Hewbie is about 6 inches and has grown about 2-3 inches since I got him in February. What size tank was your little buddy in?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay that’s good makes me feel like Hewbie is on the right track for growth. I know most probably won’t get to the full 20 inches in captivity as various factors play a role. Hewbie is about 6 inches and has grown about 2-3 inches since I got him in February. What size tank was your little buddy in?
Was in 240g

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back