How many of us "don't test" aside from salinity?!?

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many of us don't test for anything aside from salinity?

Now granted I have a small Deskmate Classic tank (4.8 gallons), but the only thing I test for is salinity. When I started this tank, I knew I could have gone one of 2 ways, test like crazy to hit the "right" numbers across the board, or don't. I went the latter.

To be honest, in my whole reefkeeping career (21 years), I"ve never really tested much, and have had good success. I know I'm probably in a small minority of people that run tanks like this, but I went slow and steady with my tank. Cycled it properly for almost 2 months, Added the CUC, then fish, then corals, and all has been going well.

I stay consistent with water changes every 8-10 days, depending on how weekends work as this tank is in my office, but aside from daily feeding, manually topping off with about 1/16 cup of water a day (as I have a lid on the tank), this method works for me!

What do you guys do. How many others approach their tanks like I do.

Discuss :cool:

Last edited:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think testing becomes less important as the tank stabilizes and matures. For me, I get some enjoyment of the eye test, and eventually I found certain corals were great "canary in the coalmine" specimens for reminding me to check on parameters. However, never testing at all can backfire so I try to do the rounds with my kits at least once every two weeks. I agree 100% that salinity is something to be tested and IMO it often gets forgotten about but can cause a lot of issues.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back