Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Thanks for posting this. It is very helpful. Which of these treatments is for Ich? Thanks.
YW. The Cupramine treats ich, marine velvet, and some other less common stuff. The prazipro is a de-wormer and also gets rid of flukes and some other stuff.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept small tanks with 3 or 4 fish for years, just started the adventure of a 220g reef and was looking at my fish. I was startled to find that if I lost any of them I would be sad and if either of my 2 clowns went I would be frickin devistated. It would be worse if it was my fault because of being careless, so from now on fish are going into QT.

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received some reinforcement on my decision to QT. Blonde Naso Tang from an established tank that looked okay just showed signs of a bad ich infection last night. If I had put him in my display I'd be having major issues right now. Started hypo treatment last night.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

dmorrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never quarantined my fish. Yet again i work in a fish store so I guess i could call the entire store my quarantine tank.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are stressed when they are caught then stressed more when shipped then stressed again adjusting to the lfs tank then stressed again when you add them to your tank...
Why would you want to stress them again for another month before they go into your tank?

buy a bottle of QuickCure from walmart for like $2, 2 drops in the bag for 5 min and the fish is good

I have gon to only captive bread fish and corals so now stress on my livestock is a minimum, fish are bread a couple hrs down the road and corals mostly come from other reefers, although I do enjoy picking up a wild coral colonys every once in a wile

Last edited:

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received some reinforcement on my decision to QT. Blonde Naso Tang from an established tank that looked okay just showed signs of a bad ich infection last night. If I had put him in my display I'd be having major issues right now. Started hypo treatment last night.

ever wonder if it was the stress of being in a small qt tank that caused the ich infection?
because it lost its slime coat from being stressed in the qt tank

Last edited:

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is a 40b and the fish are about 3" max with lots of live rock, ATO, dosing pumps, 20g sump, fuge, etc. Basically, a fully cycled stable reef setup. Other fish that have gone through have not had an issue. This fish came from someone who had it in their tanks three days after they got it from someone else. Her fish were fighting with it so she gave it to me.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its far less stressful for them to be in a tank by themselves with no competition for food than to be thrown into a tank with a bunch of established tank mates. Most fish can use a chance to fatten up since most suppliers starve them so they dont pollute the bags during shipment. QT doesn't always have to be about disease treatment, it can just be a place to get the fish in its best shape and give it the best chance when introduced into the display.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its far less stressful for them to be in a tank by themselves with no competition for food than to be thrown into a tank with a bunch of established tank mates. Most fish can use a chance to fatten up since most suppliers starve them so they dont pollute the bags during shipment. QT doesn't always have to be about disease treatment, it can just be a place to get the fish in its best shape and give it the best chance when introduced into the display.

+1 Brett.

After not utilizing a qt for years, I've now began to use them. All this from a few delicate fish going right into the display, 100% healthy, and breaking out with ich in the following days just from trying to fall into the eating/pecking order of the current inhabitants. From here on out, qt,qt,qt. After seeing what attention can be spent just getting the new fish comfortable with you and fat-n-happy, I'll be utilizing my qt for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy a bottle of QuickCure from walmart for like $2, 2 drops in the bag for 5 min and the fish is good

I got to say, I never heard of this one. But what do I know? :fish2:

justjosh012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS I work at quarantines everything, inverts and corals included, heck we even quarantine fish for people that buy them elsewhere. Before I worked where I do now I lost every one of my fish to a velvet outbreak. lesson learned. Since starting my new tanks I havnt seen any disease, dont have aiptasia, have never had to deal with flatworms or any of the other nasties that make life hard. The only pest I deal with is Asterina starfish, which arent that bad IMO.

I will continue to quarantine as the little bit of extra time can save me a headache down the road.

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should really start, but with a fish already in the tank is it possible for it to be already harboring a disease, even if the fish seems healthy? Or should I pull the fish and let the tank go fallow for 8 weeks?

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, really surprised how many people don't QT.
Here's my regimen
Week1 - make sure the fish is eating
Week2 - if fish is eating, treat with Prazipro
Week3 - 50% waterchange and observe fish
Week4 - another week treatment of Prazipro
Week5 and 6 - 50% water change and observe

I only treat with copper if necessary and I depend on one of those ammonia badges if I need to do a water change. But on average, I change 5 gallons at least twice a week on my 20g QT tank

reefin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never have, just seems one more step to induce stress to me. Never had an issue in 10 yrs. Buy from reputable vendors!

sjnovakovich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never have, just seems one more step to induce stress to me. Never had an issue in 10 yrs. Buy from reputable vendors!
I agree. I've lost 3 fish so far from the stress of being quarantine. The only solution I can think of is to set up a full blown FOWLR and keep it running all of the time as a qt. But, I think pests could be harbored in live rock and defeat the purpose of quarantining.

jm23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I depend on one of those ammonia badges if I need to do a water change. But on average, I change 5 gallons at least twice a week on my 20g QT tank

Those Ammonia Alert badges are pointless. Had one in my QT with 2 Onyx Clowns, come home from work check the clowns and they are breathing like they just ran a marathon and laying on their sides. The Ammonia Alert badge said everything was just fine, pulled out the test kit and wouldn't ya know my ammonia levels are through the roof. Through in another Ammonia Alert badge, same deal, no ammonia detected. Well a water change and a few prayers and my clowns survived, but I will never again trust those badges.

Last edited:

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it all over the years, QT, not QT, I've come to the conclusion that for me QT is not any better.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After losing a complete tank of fish... No fish go into the DT now without quarantining first.

This seems to be the only way people learn.............they have to get burned just once.

My purple tang is over 20 years old.............if I didn't QT new fish, he'd have died over a decade ago. What's funny to me is ich is always the one talked about when velvet and brook are the wipe out tank killers. They are seldom diagnosed in time.............usually too late.

For those talking about Live Aqaria.............only the DD fish go through a QT process. You still have to QT fish even if from Divers Den.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not quarantine and have not in about 30 years or so, but all of my fish are spawning except my copperband, even my 19 year old fireclowns my mandarins, pipefish, gobies and cardinals are spawning but if your fish are not breeding you should quarantine as fish that are not in good enough condition to spawn or at least make spawning jestures are very suseptable to all sorts of things.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back