• 9-10x total volume

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide on an overflow pump and figure out how much turn over my tank should have, now and down the line.

I’ve seen some people suggest 3x others 10x their total volume a hour.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
generally i see 3-6x be used more than the other options you have listed. personally i am on the slower side of 3-4x

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generally i see 3-6x be used more than the other options you have listed. personally i am on the slower side of 3-4x
The overflow I’m looking at, says it’s upto 75g which would be at but there is not way that’s more than like 3-3.5 turn over. But the next level up is a huge jump it’s like 300gph vs 800gph overflow choice

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somewhat have to guesstimate mine because I don’t know how much I’m losing from head pressure, but I think I’m around the 5x range on my 125g.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Im trying to figure it out and I feel like I’m learning math
If you’re running one 1” siphon pipe, 900gph (or was it 600? I forget) in an overflow is all you’re going to get, a 1200gph pump will run dry before you actually push water at that rate. Design the overflow and pipes for the flow you want and the pump rating falls into place.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it might sound funny but your overflow and sump are ultimately going to determine your GPH not your return pump.
Definitely, and the type of valves you have as well. Didn't listen to advice and have a ball valve on my drain line into my sump. While I'm able to tune it close to my needs, I'm certain a gate valve would allow for better control

ShanePike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting. In December 2021, BRS (starting at the 9:25 mark of this video) suggested a flow rate of just 1X. That seemed really odd, but just a few hours later I saw a post from @Randy Holmes-Farley from almost six years ago where he said the same thing:
I don’t think the flow rate through the refugium is very important. IMO, 1x per h (24 x per day) is likely fine. There’s no evidence that high flow is useful, nor any theoretical reason that I have heard to think it is.

Flow in the refugium itself may be more important, but it need not be high.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue on all five of my tanks honestly. I focus more on total flow in the tank, not the turnover of the water. Plus as the pumps age and get crud in them, they pump less as well.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The overflow I’m looking at, says it’s upto 75g which would be at but there is not way that’s more than like 3-3.5 turn over. But the next level up is a huge jump it’s like 300gph vs 800gph overflow choice
i have a 600gph overflow in a 40G tank. my return is slowed down enough to match the GPH and the drain has a ball valve which i can also control drain speed

don’t fully understand your point but you can size bigger and still make it work

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all very new to me, and I feel like I’m trying to learn one product after another. The valve sounds like a good choice so if I wanted more later then it’s adjustable. Rather a smaller one, that is maxed out

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends a lot on if you run socks or filter media. Personally I do not and at much below a true (not bs advertised numbers) 5x I get too much settling in the sump and the skimmers collect almost nothing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back