How often are you calibrating your Trident?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

How often are you calibrating?

• 1x per reagent change

• 2x per reagent change

• 3x per reagent change

• More

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often is everyone calibrating their trident?

Anyone notice during calibration, the trident only uses like less than half the solution in the bottle?

I feel like the trident needs to be calibrated about once a month. It'd be nice if Neptune can split the bottle into 2, allowing us to calibrate it more than once without having to purchase more calibration solution.

ReeferJake1212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running the trident for 2 months now and only calibrated it once in the beginning. Every once n awhile I’ll manually test my parameters to check on the trident and so far it’s still been right on with my Hanna checker and Red Sea kits. I believe the calibration is more for the trident to get a feel for its position at your tank as Neptune mentions your readings shouldn’t change much after calibration.

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running the trident for 2 months now and only calibrated it once in the beginning. Every once n awhile I’ll manually test my parameters to check on the trident and so far it’s still been right on with my Hanna checker and Red Sea kits. I believe the calibration is more for the trident to get a feel for its position at your tank as Neptune mentions your readings shouldn’t change much after calibration.

Then you are lucky, my cal & mg starts to drift.
I'm starting to trust my Salifert more than the red sea kits. Every so often, I test them with the left over trident solution and my Salifert is either spot on or very close. Well, more so than my red sea test kits anyways. And, my Hanna is pretty consistent, it's either 0.2 or 0.3 off on DKH.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no issues with my Trident and I calibrate only following a full reagent change.

My safety check process is the same if I change all reagents or just bottle A.

If I do a full reagent change I run a current test, once that's done I note the results, I change out the reagents using Tasks.
Once that process is done, I do another full test and compare the results.
So far after 8 months doing it this way I have not been more that 4-5 points off from test one to test two.
Example Ca would be 440 on test one and test two would be 436 or 444.
IMO nothing to worry over or even think about.

If I am just replacing bottle A then I just do a Alk test change it and test again for comparison.

I do not see the need to constantly calibrate, but once in a while I do double check with my Hanna's and RS kits. To date its been so close I am not concerned.

My results have been almost spot on, with the ICP testing as well.
My last reagent change two weeks back did a full test, recorded the results and took a sample immediately following the conclusion of the Trident test in the same location as the sample line is located. and sent it off to Triton ICP. My Trident said Ca was 436 ICP said was 433,
Mg was different though, ICP said I was 89 points higher than what the Trident reported.
I do not remember the exact numbers but I remember it was 89 points higher.
This contradicts what others have claimed, most complained the Trident reads higher and creeps up over time.

I also have the Trident set up per instruction.
Sample line is in a no bubble zone and pert near level with the unit.
The unit is next to the DT so the temps are also mostly equal.
I clean the sample line when I think about it, basically pull it out and wipe it down with a paper towel to keep the end open and free from debris and algae.

IMO the Trident is the best part of the Apex. YMMV.

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a .05 difference in my kh...anyone else? and I calibrate every 2 months.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by 'reagent guides'?!?

I looked at them.
They are plastic printed triangles that slide onto the reagent tubes and get pushed against the inside bottom of the reagent lid.
This helps keep the tubes straight.

He has a thread with pictures here on R2R.
Look up this member he is the guy who is making them.

Brasileiro561

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at them.
They are plastic printed triangles that slide onto the reagent tubes and get pushed against the inside bottom of the reagent lid.
This helps keep the tubes straight.

He has a thread with pictures here on R2R.
Look up this member he is the guy who is making them.

Brasileiro561
Yeah, I realized what you were talking about after the fact...U know, 5 minute delayed reaction...story of my life! LOL

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only calibrate when changing the full reagent set. I do, however, use the remaining calibration solution as the test sample for a combined test when swapping out the second A bottle ... just to make sure T hasn’t drifted. As long as you keep it capped, the calibration solution is just fine.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recalibrate only when I see a significant change in numbers immediately after replacing one or more reagent bottles.
Or if I suspect the numbers might be off for whatever reason.
The reagents have become much more consistent from batch to batch since beta testing, requiring less recalibration.
Often I don't need to recalibrate at all after replacing reagents.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I have to change all 3 reagents. When it was new I didn't have to. It seemed to keep everything steady, but as I got some age on the Trident it seemed to drift more between total reagent changes. So now I do it after every 3 reagent change.

U

User1

View Badges
I follow the instructions, calibrating after installing a new set of reagent. Works great :)

Same here. Only calibrate when instructions say to :). I farmed for the Trident many months and its only job is to be the source of record. Meaning no other testing is done. Period. I do send off 2 ICP tests to ATI twice a year. ATI's job is to provide a holistic view of my water chemistry and another source of record.

Five minutes before the Tridents noon test I'll fill up ATI's water sample tubes and grab a cup of water. At this time I'll run a manual ALK test using Hanna's checker and also test Nitrates (Nyos test kit) and Phosphates (Hanna again). Now I'll update the Apex with results. Trident runs its tests and those are noted. I'll package up and send ATI's test off and usually within 7 to 10 days I'll get a email message with results.

Now I can compare my manual test to the Trident and ATI's ICP. Every time I've done this numbers are all within their respected margin of error. Based on my checks and balances I honestly see no reason to second guess the Trident. The few issues I've had are self induced (sample line clogged) or an abnormally such as one of the lines coming off the manifold. Both times Neptune support turned it around in a day or two. Heck, one was over Thanksgiving weekend when they are supposed to be off (received an email from one of the lads who went well and above which was very cool).

TL;DR only calibrate based on reagent instructions.

Edit: I save left over calibration fluid and will run a manual ALK test using it to check. Not seen anything scary there either.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back