How to dose all for reef

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just automated my all for reef to be dosed in to my 20g mixed reef tank. I just have one question. Since all for reef is not like normal 2 part additives that are dosed separately and not dosed throughout the day to avoid swings should I split my 15ml doses into 5 3ml doses throughout the day or should I just add it all at once?
I've heard that all for reef doesn't impact the chemistry immediately after addition so would it matter dosing a at once?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On bulk reef they have tropic marin saying Do not exceed a maximum daily dose of 25 ml of All-For-Reef per 100 liters (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume. I would assume that if your tank would need more than their daily max, you would then want to split it up.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor and go get a $50 X1 single doser like I did and problem solved! I dose 29 ml over 12 dosing periods all day. Keeps everything stable. AFR is pretty gentle and you can dose all at one time but for 50 bucks and not having to worry its priceless.

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from dosing 1x per day at 7am.. 12ml.

Just adjusted to 3x per day at 4ml. Splut 8 hours apart. .... Should i increase frequency further?

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On bulk reef they have tropic marin saying Do not exceed a maximum daily dose of 25 ml of All-For-Reef per 100 liters (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume. I would assume that if your tank would need more than their daily max, you would then want to split it up.

absolutely true.

that said... :D Lou from TM has mentioned in a few videos that he has a customer who doses 3X (i think) the max suggested amount without any problems :)

J.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously asked TM similar questions about dosing All for Reef in a larger tank and received this response. Below is part of the conversation regarding dosing All for Reef.

Questions,
* Is there a preferred time of day to dose?
* Should I be spacing out dosing over several hours, dosing throughout the day, or dosing all at once?
I have been dosing with 15 minute intervals between 9:30 - 11:30 PM.
* Is there a preferred time of day to test Alkalinity?

Response,
Thank you very much for your trust in our products.
I recommend dosing All-For-Reef in the morning. I think your practice is very good and suitable. I have no preferred time of alkalinity testing.
Kind regards
Hans-Werner Balling
Dr. Biener GmbH
Steinaeckerweg 3 - 5
36367 Wartenberg
Deutschland/Germany

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously asked TM similar questions about dosing All for Reef in a larger tank and received this response. Below is part of the conversation regarding dosing All for Reef.

Questions,
* Is there a preferred time of day to dose?
* Should I be spacing out dosing over several hours, dosing throughout the day, or dosing all at once?
I have been dosing with 15 minute intervals between 9:30 - 11:30 PM.
* Is there a preferred time of day to test Alkalinity?

Response,

Did you mean to say something else and not oxygen?

morning, so just before oxygen demands are higher (fish activity)

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do yourself a favor and go get a $50 X1 single doser like I did and problem solved! I dose 29 ml over 12 dosing periods all day. Keeps everything stable. AFR is pretty gentle and you can dose all at one time but for 50 bucks and not having to worry its priceless.
Where do you dose yours? ATO or high flow sump area ?

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
morning, so just before oxygen demands are higher (fish activity)
There are two reasons for morning dose:

1. When the light turns on, and photosynthesis kicks in, there will be more oxygen available. AFR relies on heterotrophic bacteria to break it down and release bicarbonate. These bacteria consume oxygen. The impact is not very significant though.

2. When photosynthesis picks up, the pH rises. The coral calcification is faster at higher pH. So the released alkalinity is ready to meet the coral's need.

For me though, I dose AFR hourly through a dosing pump. And yes, you can dose more than the recommend amount per day. Just take note to slowly ramp up the dosing amount. Treat it like a carbon source.

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two reasons for morning dose:

1. When the light turns on, and photosynthesis kicks in, there will be more oxygen available. AFR relies on heterotrophic bacteria to break it down and release bicarbonate. These bacteria consume oxygen. The impact is not very significant though.

2. When photosynthesis picks up, the pH rises. The coral calcification is faster at higher pH. So the released alkalinity is ready to meet the coral's need.

For me though, I dose AFR hourly through a dosing pump. And yes, you can dose more than the recommend amount per day. Just take note to slowly ramp up the dosing amount. Treat it like a carbon source.
To clarify, are you dosing hourly during the photo period?

I have a Kamoer doser and was previously dosing hours for 24 hours. Based on these two reasons though, I'm thinking it would be reasonable to switch to something like:

- Dose 25% of the total amount at the beginning of the photo period
- Dose the remaining 75% split hourly for the reminder of the photo period

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, are you dosing hourly during the photo period?

I have a Kamoer doser and was previously dosing hours for 24 hours. Based on these two reasons though, I'm thinking it would be reasonable to switch to something like:

- Dose 25% of the total amount at the beginning of the photo period
- Dose the remaining 75% split hourly for the reminder of the photo period
I dose the same amount hourly throughout 24hr. The main reason is because I'm too lazy to set different hourly amount, and a little bit (0.2dkh) of fluctuations really not harmful.

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose the same amount hourly throughout 24hr. The main reason is because I'm too lazy to set different hourly amount, and a little bit (0.2dkh) of fluctuations really not harmful.
Thanks, makes sense. It's not worth it for me personally to get a Trident and monitor parameters closely, but I'm curious if different dosing timing schemes and the resulting alk stability can be visually seen on a graph. And whether that stability leads to better growth, we'll probably never know.

Dloc1183

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you count the full water amount in the whole system, tank and sump in order to dose the correct amount?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back