How to Frag Palys (w/ pictures)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Looks like it's on its way to forming a new head :)

1. Curious, do you think that you cut the stalk cleanly and perpendicular to the base like in my sketch? Reason being, wondering if a lopsided cut will have any effect on healing time, or uniform development of a new face.
2. And how is the severed head doing on the plug? Wondering how it worked out gluing right away vs letting it heal for a couple days

Thanks for the update
It was fairly straight across. I used the rock as a backing board so it probably wasn't terribly smooth. The severed end is growing great. Already starting to encrust the frag plug. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.

OP
OP
GoFish

GoFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was fairly straight across. I used the rock as a backing board so it probably wasn't terribly smooth. The severed end is growing great. Already starting to encrust the frag plug. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.
Good to know thanks. Try to post another pic if the healing base when you have time in another week or 2 as well

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the polyp growing over the frag plug. That clear looking part on the bottom is the polyp, not glue.

DSC_2260.jpg

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm now what happen if it's cut down the middle ? Could it possible to graph with another paly or zoa?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this bc it's helpful

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know somebody with way too many hallucination zoas COUGH @CoralNerd COUGH. . . So this should help. Lop off the heads for me Eric, apparently they'll be just fine !

OP
OP
GoFish

GoFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. These have been totally back to normal for a while and all the frags made are probably sprouting new head in tanks all across the region

The colony on the lower left...
qCLWoOp.jpg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back