How to get rid of Asterina Starfish

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo harlequins are terrible. For this.. They only eat live starfish.. They will eat a very small Portion of each star leaving the rest to. Decay.. And feed the problem of overpopulation.. If and when they do manage to Eliminate the populous.. What do they eat then? I'm not saying they don't work.. Just stating problems with this solution

s2minute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina Starfish

I have a ton in my system, they don't bother anything as far as i can tell. All i see them do is help keep the glass clean. I rescue them during WC and maint.

s2minute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had them in my system for years. Never once been a problem and i have 100s. No harm,no damage, no fuss. Just helping to clean my glass and my DT is LOADED with corals. I don't know what all the hype is about. If these critters were going to be a problem EVER, i'd have noticed it a long time ago.

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had them in my system for years. Never once been a problem and i have 100s. No harm,no damage, no fuss. Just helping to clean my glass and my DT is LOADED with corals. I don't know what all the hype is about. If these critters were going to be a problem EVER, i'd have noticed it a long time ago.

I dont know as if they are really a problem, for me I had to many and I didnt like the fact my glass had them all over it. I had 1000's in my system and I dont think they bring anything positive to the tank and I have always wanted a pair of harlequins so I thought boom, heres my chance :)

s2minute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina Stars

I dont know as if they are really a problem, for me I had to many and I didnt like the fact my glass had them all over it. I had 1000's in my system and I dont think they bring anything positive to the tank and I have always wanted a pair of harlequins so I thought boom, heres my chance :)

Chocolate Chip starfish are not cheap and not always avail. Just remember that when you buy those Harlequins and they quickly run out of those tiny Asterina snacks, that's what you're going to have to feed the Harlequins. You'll be responsible for the lives of those shrimp once you get them so think twice on removing what you think is a pest but in reality, is not. :angel:

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chocolate Chip starfish are not cheap and not always avail. Just remember that when you buy those Harlequins and they quickly run out of those tiny Asterina snacks, that's what you're going to have to feed the Harlequins. You'll be responsible for the lives of those shrimp once you get them so think twice on removing what you think is a pest but in reality, is not. :angel:

Im not sure they have the ability to eat them faster then they can reproduce. If that happens I will just trade them in to my LFS. Not a big deal.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Agreed.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got butter?

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a pair of harlequin shrimp that appear to be too involved in mating rituals to address the Asterina issue for which they were purchased.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427758474.595077.jpg

Kehaulani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee shrimp will eat them as they are a different type of harlequin shrimp. The advantage is that they don't have an exclusive diet to starfish. You don't have to feed them starfish after they rid your tank.

Other than starfish what do bumblebee shrimp eat? Just curious as I got one yesterday. It was a hitchhiker on a piece of coral.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than starfish what do bumblebee shrimp eat? Just curious as I got one yesterday. It was a hitchhiker on a piece of coral.
I'm not exactly sure what else they will eat.

You lucky dog! I have been trying to find one for a long time.

Kehaulani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it just so happen I spotted him on a coral that came into our store and my manager was cool enough to let me take it home.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back