How to increase pressure and remotely control rodi system ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone set-up an automated rodi station for me yesterday but part of the plan did not work. The goal is to bring rodi from downstairs into my ATO reservoir, so I don’t have to carry buckets of water upstairs anymore.

What he did is working except the automated part failed. Meaning I have to go downstairs to open and shut the valve every time I need rodi upstairs.

Here is what we did : we installed the 100 GPD Aquatic Life rodi buddy system on an Aquatic Life smart booster pump (50-100 GPD). The water is being fed from a splitter on my washing machine water entry. We put a selenoid on a smart plug for remote control between the water entry and the booster pump, but it slowed the water pressure so much we decided not to use it. There is a float valve in my ATO reservoir, for added security.

We now need to find another way of remotely control the water production from upstairs while having a strong enough rodi water output.

Any ideas that don’t cost too much if possible ?

Thanks !

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone set-up an automated rodi station for me yesterday but part of the plan did not work. The goal is to bring rodi from downstairs into my ATO reservoir, so I don’t have to carry buckets of water upstairs anymore.

What he did is working except the automated part failed. Meaning I have to go downstairs to open and shut the valve every time I need rodi upstairs.

Here is what we did : we installed the 100 GPD Aquatic Life rodi buddy system on an Aquatic Life smart booster pump (50-100 GPD). The water is being fed from a splitter on my washing machine water entry. We put a selenoid on a smart plug for remote control between the water entry and the booster pump, but it slowed the water pressure so much we decided not to use it. There is a float valve in my ATO reservoir, for added security.

We now need to find another way of remotely control the water production from upstairs while having a strong enough rodi water output.

Any ideas that don’t cost too much if possible ?

Thanks !

Some pictures of what you are working with would be helpful.

Are you saying that you are topping off directly from your RODI filter or from a reservoir?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a High Pressure Switch on my RO/DI. With the Booster Pump Plugged in, Water at the Faucet Turned on. When I open a Valve on the Clean Water Discharge, everything starts. Turn the Valve off, the Flush Water continues, for about a minute. High Pressure Switch, Shuts the Pump off. If you are going to leave the Pump Plugged in, I’d put a Low Pressure Switch in, to protect the Pump from Water Loss. Also Highly Recommend the Locking Clips at all your connections.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of what you are working with would be helpful.

Are you saying that you are topping off directly from your RODI filter or from a reservoir?
Topping off directly from the rodi filter. No reservoir downstairs, only the ATO reservoir to be filled upstairs.

1709130918761.jpeg

The blue line is coming from the rodi system downstairs. It’s not set up yet as the silicone for the float valve in the reservoir still has to dry.

But you can imagine how it’s going to be. (I put the ATO in this bucket in the meantime).
1709130834157.jpeg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a High Pressure Switch on my RO/DI. With the Booster Pump Plugged in, Water at the Faucet Turned on. When I open a Valve on the Clean Water Discharge, everything starts. Turn the Valve off, the Flush Water continues, for about a minute. High Pressure Switch, Shuts the Pump off. If you are going to leave the Pump Plugged in, I’d put a Low Pressure Switch in, to protect the Pump from Water Loss. Also Highly Recommend the Locking Clips at all your connections.
Can this be plugged into a smart plug to be controlled remotely ?

Do you have the link to your product ?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the problem topping off directly from the RODI system is that when I make RODI, I have to run the system for a few minutes while the TDS reading goes down to zero.

Id be curious of your TDS reading in the reservoir.

How big is your ATO reservoir and how often are you having to refill it?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m talking about just a quarter turn valve, the ones the size of a US quarter. Then just leave everything else on.
Unfortunately I suck at DIY and I have no idea what you’re talking about. Can you explain some more ?

For me, the problem topping off directly from the RODI system is that when I make RODI, I have to run the system for a few minutes while the TDS reading goes down to zero.

Id be curious of your TDS reading in the reservoir.

How big is your ATO reservoir and how often are you having to refill it?
I haven’t started using the system yet, as the float valve was just siliconed in the reservoir and needs to dry.

But we tested the TDS with the booster pump running and it was 1, just like it is when I did it before. This booster pump flushes the membrane everytime it goes on, before the rodi water comes out.

My reservoir is a 10 gallons tank. I refill it every 2-3 days, but not to the top, as I’m not able to carry more than 3-4 gallons at a time. I suppose I use about 12-15 gallons of rodi per week.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do it the right way. Set a reservoir downstairs at your RO/DI and use a peristaltic pump to move it up to the 2nd floor. You will want to make 5ish gallons at a time to not burn up your RO/DI super quick. And the Peristaltic pump can easily pump 25 ft or more. It also will hold pressure so no need to worry about a back flow or syphon.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A standard shut off valve by the aquarium:

IMG_3391.png

And if you don’t have one already an auto shut off valve on the unit for down stairs.

IMG_3390.png

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it the right way. Set a reservoir downstairs at your RO/DI and use a peristaltic pump to move it up to the 2nd floor. You will want to make 5ish gallons at a time to not burn up your RO/DI super quick. And the Peristaltic pump can easily pump 25 ft or more. It also will hold pressure so no need to worry about a back flow or syphon.
This was an option we looked at but it cost a lot more. I just had a custom built tank installed and it was a huge expense. Having automated rodi was not part of the plan but became a necessity. So I went with the cheaper option.

It’s almost as I wanted it, we just need to tweak it a little more.

A standard shut off valve by the aquarium:

IMG_3391.png

And if you don’t have one already an auto shut off valve on the unit for down stairs.

IMG_3390.png
Okay, I see. If you look on the picture above, I do have a shut off valve upstairs.

I don’t have an auto shut-off valve as it was supposed to be controlled by my smart plug, on the selenoid. I don’t know how they work, I’ll try to find infos about them.

I still need something to remotely control the system.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an auto shut-off valve as it was supposed to be controlled by my smart plug, on the selenoid. I don’t know how they work, I’ll try to find infos about them.

If there is back pressure on the RODI output, ie it’s turned off, then water to the filter it-self is automatically turned off. Should be all you need.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This was an option we looked at but it cost a lot more. I just had a custom built tank installed and it was a huge expense. Having automated rodi was not part of the plan but became a necessity. So I went with the cheaper option.

It’s almost as I wanted it, we just need to tweak it a little more.

Okay, I see. If you look on the picture above, I do have a shut off valve upstairs.

It seems pretty easy. Put a shutoff solenoid on it right at the output end. A normally closed version. So when there is NO POWER it is closed. When there is power it is open. http://autotopoff.com/Solenoids/index.html

The problem with the smart booster is it is NOT intended to be used how you have it. It is not intended to pump water to the next floor. It specifically states that in the manual.

If using the valve up top allows the system to make sufficient water just off of pressure than you won't need an inline pump. If it is just dribbling out you will want an inline pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems pretty easy. Put a shutoff solenoid on it right at the output end. A normally closed version. So when there is NO POWER it is closed. When there is power it is open. http://autotopoff.com/Solenoids/index.html
That was the original plan and that’s what we installed. We had the selonoid on a smart plug but with the selenoid, the pressure is less so we had to remove it.

The problem with the smart booster is it is NOT intended to be used how you have it. It is not intended to pump water to the next floor. It specifically states that in the manual.

I added a booster pump because it takes me 8 hours to make 20 gallons of rodi water with a 100 GPD rodi system. I wanted the water production to be quicker and more efficient.

If using the valve up top allows the system to make sufficient water just off of pressure than you won't need an inline pump. If it is just dribbling out you will want an inline pump.
What kind of inline pump ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back