How to introduce pods?

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip mine over if I add any just like any other Crustacean. I keep my tank at 35 PPT and that is sometimes higher salinity then the people that produce them. Crustaceans in general don't like quick changes in salinity, temperature and PH. It is like buying a bunch of cleaner shrimp and just dump them into your tank. I am sure most of the pods survive but if I am paying money for something I want as many as possible to survive. To me it is worth the little extra effort.

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it has an actual name but that's what I call it. I saw the design on here and built one. I can't find the one I saw but here's mine. When it grows you just remove it and "mow" it with scissors. I like an open, no baffle sump and this design allows me to keep that with out cheato getting sucked into pumps.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434045726.056244.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's a cheato cage?

I assume a chaeto cage is going to be a baffled off(with glass or eggcrate) area in the sump where chaeto can roll and tumble.

I'm not sure if it has an actual name but that's what I call it. I saw the design on here and built one. I can't find the one I saw but here's mine. When it grows you just remove it and "mow" it with scissors. I like an open, no baffle sump and this design allows me to keep that with out cheato getting sucked into pumps.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434045726.056244.jpg

That's awesome! Chaeto in pumps is no good.

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it "have" to roll and tumble? Even without he cage there isn't enough flow in my sump to move the cheats much. My turn over is just 3x to match my skimmer rate. Seems the most efficient way to skim

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday and today I added 92,723 amphipods. Collecting them is easy, counting them is time consuming. Here are a few of them in a video.
I just dump them in with no introductions.

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to count them when they arrived but every time I got around 2500 I'd loose count or count one I'd seen before..... So I decided to trust the seller!

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone else that cannot collect there own pods needs some.... I can highly recommend @AlgeaBarn! Pods arrived on time, were packed well and Appeared that all critters were alive none settled to the bottom. After floating them for 45min, I simply dumped them into the cheato. Not sure if it was necessary but I turned my skimmer off for 15 minutes so they wouldn't get pulled out. The next morning I dosed the phyto as directed. Seems like good stuff so I'll definitely buy again!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In case anyone else that cannot collect there own pods needs some.... I can highly recommend @AlgeaBarn! Pods arrived on time, were packed well and Appeared that all critters were alive none settled to the bottom. After floating them for 45min, I simply dumped them into the cheato. Not sure if it was necessary but I turned my skimmer off for 15 minutes so they wouldn't get pulled out. The next morning I dosed the phyto as directed. Seems like good stuff so I'll definitely buy again!

Glad to hear it and thanks for the shout out!

Just a reminder that the coupon code "Reef2Reef" is good for 20% off your entire order until the end of the month! The $40 Pods & Phyto Pack will still ship FREE even with the discount applied. Free Shipping on orders $40 and up is always calculated on the before discount order total. Thats just how we roll!

We harvest, pack and ship every Mon-Wed with a cutoff of 12pm MST on each day respectively. Contact me at [email protected] for a quote if you would like to upgrade from USPS Priority 2-3 day shipping to Fed-Ex 2day or overnight! The Fed-Ex rate varies slightly depending on your location. As always, every order we ship regardless of the shipping option is 100% Alive On Arrival (AOA) Guaranteed. www.algaebarn.com

Lan

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back