How to keep sand white?

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank currently has very little algae but over the course of the week the sand bed starts getting brown. It's not a full out dino/diatom outbreak.

Mixing the sand helps for most of the day. Sand vacuuming with water change helps for about a day. What else can be done to keep sand white?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is your tank? Water parameters, powerheads and cleanup crew, especially sand stirrers (nassarius snails, fighting conch, sand sifting stars, certain gobies) will help.

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is new i think it is mission impossible to have white sand. CUC will help to deal with algea, but you cant skip ugly stage(OK maybe pro guys can skip, but all others will face it). Here is my tank after almost 3 months. Dealing with some GHA on hardscape and sand.

IMG_7833.jpeg

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond sleeper goby once your sand bed is mature will keep it nice and clean. I have them in all my tanks.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
constant turnover is really all there is. you can either do this manually or employ help ala sand sifters. Diamond watchman gobies are professionals, but get a little rowdy with the sand sometimes, and other sand sifting fish. Cucumbers will turn it over, as will conchs and nassarius snails, but not as thoroughly. If you don't have space etc you could get a coral feeder tube or any other longish thinish tubishly shaped aparatus and manually stir the sand on the reg, like with every glass cleaning.
my watchman kept that sandbed sparkling white, but also liked to redecorate. i figured it was a fair tradeoff. "you work hard little dude, i will let you handle the occasional remodel and not moan about any sandstorms."

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back