How to plumb a 125g aqueon reef tank

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. So I just recently picked up a new to me used tank for a great deal. It's a aqueon 125 reef tank. I'll be eventually moving everything from my 75g to this tank in about 8 months but want to start building the plumbing now. So it will be draining into a 40g breeder that I'm going to build out. I have a bubble magnus fleece roller I'll be using so no socks. Seeing this tank has dual overflows, what's the best way to plumb it? Each overflow has two holes drilled in it and has 1" slip on bulkheads. Some ideas I was thinking was

1. Have two drains feed into a Y connector to feed into the roller. Then have one emergency drain in each box and run the returns over the back of the tank. Herbie style setup

2. Modify the roller so the two drains feed into both sides of the roller instead of a Y connector. There is a plate on the opposite side of the roller where I could add a second input.

What are your thoughts/ideas?

20231115_181520.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Make sure if you wye them together that you oversize the wye and downstream pipe to allow for the double flow. I would almost rather run both of them as separate lines terminating at the fleece roller. That'll allow for a little more flexibility.

OP
OP
T

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure if you wye them together that you oversize the wye and downstream pipe to allow for the double flow. I would almost rather run both of them as separate lines terminating at the fleece roller. That'll allow for a little more flexibility.
Yea, I'm leaning towards modifying the roller and running each drain independently.

OP
OP
T

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a setup similar to this.

Attachments

• IMG-4315.jpg
    IMG-4315.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 52

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't like hardlining my drains but for the fleece roller it's probably necessary.

OP
OP
T

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably do hard lines and then actually connect to the roller via tubing. This way it will be easier to disconnect from the roller when I need to do maintenance on it or move it around.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll probably do hard lines and then actually connect to the roller via tubing. This way it will be easier to disconnect from the roller when I need to do maintenance on it or move it around.
The other option is a union as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back