How to raise Calcium

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so i am very new to the coral hobby, however, I have a 55-gallon tank with a 20-gallon sump so i would say roughly 65 gallons of volume. my calcium has been 420-440, but it recently dropped to 380. i have some frags and a couple of bigger soft colonies like paly and Anthelia. how would you guys recommend raising it without like 2 parts? I did a 5 gallon water change and it didnt effect it at all

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so i am very new to the coral hobby, however, I have a 55-gallon tank with a 20-gallon sump so i would say roughly 65 gallons of volume. my calcium has been 420-440, but it recently dropped to 380. i have some frags and a couple of bigger soft colonies like paly and Anthelia. how would you guys recommend raising it without like 2 parts? I did a 5 gallon water change and it didnt effect it at all
guess im not afraid of 2 part just dont know what to do, i kind of know of kalkwasser but not much.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to just raise calcium you could just dose that. I would check all parameters first then decide what option is best.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also retest to verify the 380.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i tested on the 28th and it was 380 and I did a 5-gallon water change, and I retested tonight and it is still 380. maybe another water change or a bigger water change?
What test kit are you using? I would dose some calcium.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On the BRS website, go to the bottom and you will find a link called education. Click then click calculator. This will help you determine the right dose of all three cal alk and mag. Cheap easy reef dosing. The kit includes everything you need to start dosing. Instructions for mixing are on the bags.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you recommend dosing calcium never done and I'm very new, so do you have any beginner-type ideas for me?
@Reef Devils
If you want to start dosing calcium I would recommend using the Red Sea Calcium. You get probably get it at your LFS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back