How to ship Acro colonies?

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I ship baseball to softball sized Acropora colonies so they won't punch holes in a plastic bag or arrive as a bag of frags?

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe packing foam sheets around the coral, then into the bag of water? Kind of like lining the bag with the thin foam sheets. The coral will still stay wet, but won't bounce around the bag and puncture the plastic.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a deli around, go ask if you can purchase some of those plastic to-go soup cups. Some grocery stores also have a counter for getting potato salad or whatever. The quart is a great size.

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foam will float
Thin sheets, like paper only made of plastic.
1670092631776.png

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you have a deli around, go ask if you can purchase some of those plastic to-go soup cups. Some grocery stores also have a counter for getting potato salad or whatever. The quart is a great size.
These will almost always open in transit because of how the boxes are handled, whether marked live/fragile or not, you need a screw top container.

I custom order these large screw top containers. Would recommend these. Glue/elastic band the disk the coral is on to a cutout of foam. Float that upside down in a container like this.

shoot me a pm if interested in getting some of these containers.

63B8181F-2993-47AD-80AC-B10F9191F077.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These will almost always open in transit because of how the boxes are handled, whether marked live/fragile or not, you need a screw top container.

I custom order these large screw top containers. Would recommend these. Glue/elastic band the disk the coral is on to a cutout of foam. Float that upside down in a container like this.

shoot me a pm if interested in getting some of these containers.

63B8181F-2993-47AD-80AC-B10F9191F077.jpeg
You don't Need the screw to, And yes they will oftentimes open in transit, which is why you bag them just like you Would any other coral.

The cup is not the container. It's to keep the acro away from the bag, as well as keeping it from being crushed in a bag.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a large plastic container. Frags ship well in urine cups but you could use some kind of tupperware or something ideally with a screw top for large pieces.

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You don't Need the screw to, And yes they will oftentimes open in transit, which is why you bag them just like you Would any other coral.

The cup is not the container. It's to keep the acro away from the bag, as well as keeping it from being crushed in a bag.
Fair enough, though if you know there is a good probability that the container will open anyways, seems to defeat the purpose IMO

I prefer the screw top in a bag. Have never had one open in transit.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, though if you know there is a good probability that the container will open anyways, seems to defeat the purpose IMO

I prefer the screw top in a bag. Have never had one open in transit.
It is the exact same concept any putting a Frag plug in a hole in a Dip cup.

The purpose is to protect the frag and the bag. Not to hold the water.

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is the exact same concept any putting a Frag plug in a hole in a Dip cup.

The purpose is to protect the frag and the bag. Not to hold the water.
Ah! If you’re using the container as a dip cup that makes sense. If you’re filling the container with water and sealing it with the lid hoping it holds water, that’s what is advise against, whether it’s in a bag or not

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! If you’re using the container as a dip cup that makes sense. If you’re filling the container with water and sealing it with the lid hoping it holds water, that’s what is advise against, whether it’s in a bag or not
Nope. The container is just for protection. It is still bagges as normal. I've had torch colonies shipped in this manner. It works great

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back