How to successfully keep SPS Corals!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread and would love to see some updates of some of these great tanks! Get your cameras out! Pls :D:cool:

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through this thread and it has great info, although, one thing that I didn't see stated was how much of an alkalinity swing in 24 hours or in between dosing is acceptable. For instance, would a full 1dkh swing be acceptable or is that too much of a swing? I know that as little as possible is optimal but what have others found to be the limits as to how much acros can tolerate without negatively impacting them?

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through this thread and it has great info, although, one thing that I didn't see stated was how much of an alkalinity swing in 24 hours or in between dosing is acceptable. For instance, would a full 1dkh swing be acceptable or is that too much of a swing? I know that as little as possible is optimal but what have others found to be the limits as to how much acros can tolerate without negatively impacting them?
That's a good question, was wondering about this as well since I've started dosing manually.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I was manually dosing I noticed more then 3 dkh change in 48 hours would put sps in hibernatation and slow growth. Bought dosers and helped a lot, now using cal reactor and really helping a lot.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's no hard/fast rule.

• On the one hand, corals are extremely adaptable - they can adapt to a wide range of dKH conditions.
  • OTOH, pH changes seem to be the root of the problems associated with dKH changes that bother corals.
In reality, if you're dosing for dKH on a daily basis (or better) you'll never run into a low-dKH situation. (If you aren't dosing daily, or better, I recommend no stony corals.)

But it's still possible for you to have pH situations from dosing too much, too fast (which depends on the exact chemical used) or allowing dKH to get too low (depends on the rate of CO2-usage, alkalinity uptake and rate of air exchange).

It's also important to know that pH is actually rooted to atmospheric CO2 levels....any pH change we make by dosing is temporary and will be equalized by gas exchange with the air according to a known curve. (Google Randy's articles on low pH or high pH.)

For all these reasons, there is no hard and fast rule. ;)

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no hard/fast rule.

• On the one hand, corals are extremely adaptable - they can adapt to a wide range of dKH conditions.
  • OTOH, pH changes seem to be the root of the problems associated with dKH changes that bother corals.
In reality, if you're dosing for dKH on a daily basis (or better) you'll never run into a low-dKH situation. (If you aren't dosing daily, or better, I recommend no stony corals.)

But it's still possible for you to have pH situations from dosing too much, too fast (which depends on the exact chemical used) or allowing dKH to get too low (depends on the rate of CO2-usage, alkalinity uptake and rate of air exchange).

It's also important to know that pH is actually rooted to atmospheric CO2 levels....any pH change we make by dosing is temporary and will be equalized by gas exchange with the air according to a known curve. (Google Randy's articles on low pH or high pH.)

For all these reasons, there is no hard and fast rule. ;)

Great explanation. Thanks!

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
popcorn.gif

Joel_155

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to read this entire thread! Having success with LPS and softies and want to make the jump to Sps!

Joel_155

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the two corals have different needs. I mostly posted here to put this in my participated threads to read later. Softies need dirty water to thrive and medium flow. Sps needs steril water and high flow

ctello23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys first time posting, was just wondering if there was anyone running an AI Hydra (older models) in any of there tanks and have had success in growing SPS. If you wouldn't mind pm'ing me that would be great. Want see what you guys are running them at. Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back