How to tune down a protein skimmer

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my protein skimmer, (reef octopus hob 1000) and it was working just fine, barely producing any microbubbles, but I turned it off to do a water change just now and now it's producing microbubbles a lot.

I even shut off the tube (the one that allows air to come in) completely and it still produces a lot of microbubbles, what can I do to fix this?

I've had this skimmer since march maybe

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had my protein skimmer, (reef octopus hob 1000) and it was working just fine, barely producing any microbubbles, but I turned it off to do a water change just now and now it's producing microbubbles a lot.

I even shut off the tube (the one that allows air to come in) completely and it still produces a lot of microbubbles, what can I do to fix this?

I've had this skimmer since march maybe
Assure the tube going to pump is not clogged (blow through it) and also that the pump intake has no restrictions

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a octo regal version of skimmer and every once in a while if I shut off for any amount of time I would have to disconnect the pump and intake tube and clean it out to get it operating properly again . Weird thing is it doesn’t take much to interfere with the proper operation . It doesn’t happen all the time . About 1 out 10 times that I shut it off . It’s been at least two years since this has happened last . They make great skimmers but what your experiences is the only issue I’ve ever had with it . First like vetteguy said you can try blowing it out but if that doesn’t work you’ll have to take it apart and clean it . Good luck !!! :cool:

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure the tube going to pump is not clogged (blow through it) and also that the pump intake has no restrictions
Yep, just tried this and still didn't work. I took apart the skimmer to make sure that that nothing was clogging it and the microbubbles are still there for some reason.

The picture below isn't mine, but basically for my skimmer, the intake is doing what it's suppose to do, making bubbles just like the photo, but there are still microbubbles appearing in the out chamber, but if you look at this picture of what it's supposed to do, there are no microbubbles on the out chamber at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Screenshot 2023-05-30 000219.png

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a octo regal version of skimmer and every once in a while if I shut off for any amount of time I would have to disconnect the pump and intake tube and clean it out to get it operating properly again . Weird thing is it doesn’t take much to interfere with the proper operation . It doesn’t happen all the time . About 1 out 10 times that I shut it off . It’s been at least two years since this has happened last . They make great skimmers but what your experiences is the only issue I’ve ever had with it . First like vetteguy said you can try blowing it out but if that doesn’t work you’ll have to take it apart and clean it . Good luck !!! :cool:
Yea I tried cleaning it, but it still didn't work.
The picture below isn't mine, but basically for my skimmer, the intake is doing what it's suppose to do, making bubbles just like the photo, but there are still microbubbles appearing in the out chamber, but if you look at this picture of what it's supposed to do, there are no microbubbles on the out chamber at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it making proper skim mate material in the collection cup ?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three things come to mind providing everything is hooked up and working correctly but you mentioned that you shut the intake tube , this might seen remedial but have you tried adjusting it and if you cleaned the neck is it possible that you cleaned off the bio film .and last is the diffuser that distributes the air damaged or out of proper placement ?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back