How would you guys clean up an empty old tank?

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have an old tank in the garage and I am wondering if it would even be safe to use it as a Hospital tank. I do park my car in the garage and I am worried that the fumes may have somehow gotten stuck to the glass or silicon.

What do you all think?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank still has calcium or coralline algae on it I would soak it in a vinegar bath; then scrape it, being careful around the silicone. Then I would give it a bleach bath for a day, rinse it out and use it. If you suspect that there's been copper in it the vinegar (acid) will remove most of that and dissolve the coralline. If there's never been copper in it and no built up crust I would just do the bleach bath.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Mike I strong solution of vinegar will dissolve the calcium film. Don't use an abrasive pad it could scratch it.

CountrySideCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muratic acid found in hardware stores works well but be careful around skin as it's designed for concrete etching. It is what I use to clean tanks and pumps

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when tanks sit up dry for extended periods, the silicone could dry out and you may develop a leak as a result. I would be sure to at least give it a while outdoors with water in it, to make sure it isn't leaking.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too strong a solution of Muriatic acid will etch glass making it look cloudy. One reason when we wash new brick houses we don't get it on the windows.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muratic acid found in hardware stores works well but be careful around skin as it's designed for concrete etching. It is what I use to clean tanks and pumps
I agree, the right mixture and this stuff eats all crap right off the glass. No fuss no muss

OP
OP
Mgoc

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone. My biggest concern is the exhaust gases from the car. Do you think that would be a problem?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone. My biggest concern is the exhaust gases from the car. Do you think that would be a problem?
Personally, if it were my tank, that would not bother me at all. Just clean it out the best you can with vinegar or bleach and continue on with the build.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just clean it up and you'll be fine. The glass doesn't absorb anything. Silicone doesn't dry out. Fumes are not going to penetrate the glass or silicone. The biggest concern is what kind of condition are the seams in. If they look good then leak test it before use. If they look compromised then I wouldn't bother, not worth a flood.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back