Humu Picasso Triggerfish

sps4mytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wanting one for years.

But my tanks are reef.

Recently, I saw one in my friends tank who is majority sps and it seems decent enough to keep in a reef.

Has anyone successfully kept a huma huma nuka nuka in their reef tank.

I want peoples opinions before i bite the bullet.

Jay

Acropolis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept one in a reef. They're usually not too bad until they get bigger. if you don't mind trading him back in, you should be able to get a couple years out of a small one.
They are readily trained to go into a net or the fish traps work great too. only thing you really need to worry about is replacing hermits.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually they'll get large, then what ;)

IMO fish should only be purchased to be kept for their entire lives. We're not leasing cars here...

You can always just keep coral that they won't pick on (when you learn what that is, if any, over time). With fish like this (nippers/eaters), you have to make a decision before you pruchase them, fish > coral, or coral > fish, and base your purchase on that.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try a blue jaw which is peaceful trigger and way more "reef safe". I had a huma when I first started out with FOWLR and it would go after my lion fish all the time. Just a thought. I agree with stunreefer I never put a fish in my tank with the idea of taking it out in a year or two. I want a trigger for my 225 I am setting up and I decided on a cross hatch so that will be the last fish I put in. I also accepted the fact that I probably won't be able to keep any shrimp.

OP
OP
S

sps4mytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i bit the bullet

DSC_0294.jpg

so far so good. Only eating mysis shrimp.

Only about 1 1/2 inches in size, but definitely stays away from corals and shrimp. Havent seen him trying to nip my snails or hermits yet. been a few days already and I am happy.

Now time to get my flame angel out

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
humu humu nuku nuku apua'a...throwin it the shaka from hawaii. take good care of that little guy. seen large triggers maintained in reefs through the use of hermit crabs.

Adam Gilbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i bit the bullet

DSC_0294.jpg

Only about 1 1/2 inches in size, but definitely stays away from corals and shrimp. Havent seen him trying to nip my snails or hermits yet. been a few days already and I am happy.

10 years later - How’d the humu work out with your reef? Just set up my first tank and really want a humu but want corals More. Did it work for you?

Shah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i bit the bullet

DSC_0294.jpg

How is the trigger doing after 10 years??

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take some before and after photos, and post back when he matures so others will learn.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back