Husker 150g Peninsula (SPS--> Soft Coral Tank)

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, its fine. I know some people aren't fans of the foam, but I have always liked the look. Everybody has different opinions with this kind of stuff. I know the "how to" foam posts in the DIY threads on ReefCentral are full of angry posts. I had this stuff for a previous tank and it grows algae and coral over top just fine. I kind of prefer the look to sterile white rock, and they both end up looking similar in the end. Also, this is for the refugium/seagrass tank, so most of the structure will be covered with algae.
following.. want to see how it comes out.. so far stand look good man.

OP
OP
Husker

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following.. want to see how it comes out.. so far stand look good man.

Thanks. We are working on putting wood trim on the main stand now. Hopefully it will be done by the end of the week. (Most of the recent pictures have been of the secondary tank/stand).

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to go all algae for the planted tank look. I think there's a few coral species that would do well for a grass. As it is right now I have to dose KNO3 and PO4 as my feeding is not enough to keep up with my Algae.

OP
OP
Husker

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to go all algae for the planted tank look. I think there's a few coral species that would do well for a grass. As it is right now I have to dose KNO3 and PO4 as my feeding is not enough to keep up with my Algae.

Yes, as the main tank is going to be pretty much SPS only, the display refugium will be a place for any other corals that I don't want to sting the acros. I like the movement of soft coral, and there are some really cool soft coral tanks out there. I am also debating a bunch of anemones in with the macroalgae and seagrass, but I have some time before I need to commit to anything.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good and interesting ideas here. Following this one closely.
Good luck

OP
OP
Husker

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good and interesting ideas here. Following this one closely.
Good luck

Thanks. Yours is looking fantastic.

We are getting closer on the stand. We had a couple of hiccups from trying to be a little too fancy. but I think we figured it out.

Today, I will have a chance to keep working on step 2 of the foam structure for the seagrass/macroalgae tank.

OP
OP
Husker

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 2 of the rock structure for the refugium/seagrass tank is probably about as good as I can get it (I lack the artistry of some of the R2Rers). This tank will likely house little inverts that are either not safe for my SPS tank or would be eaten by my wrasses, so I wanted to create lots of little nooks and crannies. The goal is to give it the feel of diving the Caribbean patch reefs, which are a little less sterile than most people's aquarium setups-- the closer you look, the more life you see.
DEAFFCCE-7482-4046-A08D-CFE32F431493_zpspyl7vpkr.jpg

7C74C1E0-DA60-49DC-91F5-80EE0BB6F806_zpspftc44hs.jpg

OP
OP
Husker

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legos....genius. Looks fine to me. Love this build.

WOW! That "rock" structure is amazing. Looks natural. You should be proud.

Thanks! I'm excited to get it wet. I think all the nooks and crannies could look pretty neat when they get some nitty gritty growth on them. I really want this display refugium tank to feel like the "dirty" patch reefs with more and more life the closer you look. The ying sterility of an SPS tank sometimes needs a good yang right next to it.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm excited to get it wet. I think all the nooks and crannies could look pretty neat when they get some nitty gritty growth on them. I really want this display refugium tank to feel like the "dirty" patch reefs with more and more life the closer you look. The ying sterility of an SPS tank sometimes needs a good yang right next to it.
One with black sand, one with white... you know, to further the Yin and Yang LOL

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loving it!

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to cover the black foam? Can we get a closer look at the rock structure?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back