ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like it would be a eye sore.

The patch is directly over the tub which is in a separate room within the bathroom (commode and shower separate). The only time this is visible is when you are actually in the bathroom taking a shower. So looks are not an issue. And when you do look, you will just see this flat, spring loaded access panel. My bigger concern is the humidity from the shower going through the ceiling. Not sure I should be concerned or not.

BTW: I got them to throw in 2 years of maintenance for allowing them to put the access panel instead of having a drywall guy come out.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The patch is directly over the tub which is in a separate room within the bathroom (commode and shower separate). The only time this is visible is when you are actually in the bathroom taking a shower. So looks are not an issue. And when you do look, you will just see this flat, spring loaded access panel. My bigger concern is the humidity from the shower going through the ceiling. Not sure I should be concerned or not.

BTW: I got them to throw in 2 years of maintenance for allowing them to put the access panel instead of having a drywall guy come out.

Maybe it's a good place for a decorative panel of some sorts.

With a new system, is there really any reason for maintenance inside 2 years?
I did my first tuneup on my system after 10 years. Everything was fine.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's a good place for a decorative panel of some sorts.

With a new system, is there really any reason for maintenance inside 2 years?
I did my first tuneup on my system after 10 years. Everything was fine.

Good point and one I have considered. I got 2 new units, I get 5 years parts and labor on one and 12 years on the other. Plus I get the first year maintenance for free. Basically they come out and clean the units once a year. If anything actually goes wrong, I just call them anyway. But it's something I guess. Initially I was told the warranty was void if I did not have the maintenance contract but he said the warranties are honored regardless of whether I have maintenance.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say you patch that hole....and save the $200 by doing it yourself....it's very easy. I suggest you start with THIS video.

Now what I'd do differently from this video is to use two strips of wood (inexpensive fir strip is all you need) because your hole is fairly big.....also two screws per end of board. And because this is in a bathroom I'd use greenboard (moisture resistant drywall) instead of the regular stuff. The big box stores most likely sell smaller pieces of this, so you don't have to buy a 4 x 8 piece. Also, drywall compound can be purchased pre-mixed in various sizes....easier than mixing yourself. And don't use paper tape...use the mesh plastic stuff.

Good luck!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good point and one I have considered. I got 2 new units, I get 5 years parts and labor on one and 12 years on the other. Plus I get the first year maintenance for free. Basically they come out and clean the units once a year. If anything actually goes wrong, I just call them anyway. But it's something I guess. Initially I was told the warranty was void if I did not have the maintenance contract but he said the warranties are honored regardless of whether I have maintenance.

Yeah they use a lot of pressure to get those maintenance contracts, but saying the warrantee would be void without it is not legal.
But as long as they fessed up to it, it's all good.

Just before I got my Trane setup, a Consumer Reports had just come out with the ratings on the one I was looking at and knew the incidents of stuff happening was really low, so I was armed with that when the installer started talking maintenance contracts.
He didn't push when I told him I knew what the ratings were.
I did go back to the original company when I did decide to do a maintenance checkup at the 10 year mark.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say you patch that hole....and save the $200 by doing it yourself....it's very easy. I suggest you start with THIS video.

Now what I'd do differently from this video is to use two strips of wood (inexpensive fir strip is all you need) because your hole is fairly big.....also two screws per end of board. And because this is in a bathroom I'd use greenboard (moisture resistant drywall) instead of the regular stuff. The big box stores most likely sell smaller pieces of this, so you don't have to buy a 4 x 8 piece. Also, drywall compound can be purchased pre-mixed in various sizes....easier than mixing yourself. And don't use paper tape...use the mesh plastic stuff.

Good luck!

I have thought about doing it myself as I have done drywall before. The hole doesn't have a joist on any side. I would use the furring strips that is what I usually do for a patch. I was also surprised the existing drywall is not greenboard. But they were careful to keep the original piece intact. I just know when it is done that it will look like a patch. Even a pro would have trouble with this. And of course I would need to paint the entire ceiling. Not a big deal it is a small area. In my old age I am just getting lazy.

webbrage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could buy foam you seal doors with and put it on the back side if your worried about moisture getting in

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back