HybridAZN's 180 gallon build

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I completely understand lol! I guess also if you let things build up... Haven't scraped the glass in a few weeks, missed a few water changes, haven't scrubbed the powerheads in awhile etc etc.

Im proactively lazy, I'll spend the 10 minutes now so I don't need to spend hours in a month lol

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I completely understand lol! I guess also if you let things build up... Haven't scraped the glass in a few weeks, missed a few water changes, haven't scrubbed the powerheads in awhile etc etc.

Im proactively lazy, I'll spend the 10 minutes now so I don't need to spend hours in a month lol

I agree, that's what I've been trying to get myself back to doing as well. A little bit everyday.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say, I almost have zero maintenance to do ever and I think that should be very common. What is all this maintenance people have that takes HOURS of your week?

Weekly:
- Fill the ATO
- Scrape the glass 3-4x a weeek
- make sure I don't need to brew up some 2-part

That's like 15 minutes per week. And scrubbing the power heads once every other month also only takes a few minutes.

I see this maintenance talk all the time but nobody says what the heck you guys do. Is staring at the tank maintenance? If so, then I do a lot of maintenance too ;Shamefullyembarrased

LOL, for me it is a new build. I have been testing several parameters fairly often, so that takes time (I get home around 2am also and usually run my tests then). After I am comfortable with the system I will likely test very little. I personally enjoy the maintenance, the part that makes it seem long to me is cleaning everything after. I rinse everything after in tap and then RO/DI after. Perhaps overkill, but especially for the testing equipment I feel it is necessary.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, for me it is a new build. I have been testing several parameters fairly often, so that takes time (I get home around 2am also and usually run my tests then). After I am comfortable with the system I will likely test very little. I personally enjoy the maintenance, the part that makes it seem long to me is cleaning everything after. I rinse everything after in tap and then RO/DI after. Perhaps overkill, but especially for the testing equipment I feel it is necessary.

Yep, i rinse in RODI too. My tests are always cleaned in RODI, and before use cleaned with SW I'm going to test -- Just in case there's any deposits I may have missed. I've done a few back to back tests with clean vs unclean tubes and they vary wildly until it's been used once or twice.

Seems like such a small thing... But I definitely recommend it. It's akin to calibrating a refractometer.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, i rinse in RODI too. My tests are always cleaned in RODI, and before use cleaned with SW I'm going to test -- Just in case there's any deposits I may have missed. I've done a few back to back tests with clean vs unclean tubes and they vary wildly until it's been used once or twice.

Seems like such a small thing... But I definitely recommend it. It's akin to calibrating a refractometer.

Yep. I calibrate the refractometer every time. Although I mostly use a Pinpoint Salinity Monitor now and I love it. So easy.

EDIT: @hybridazn sorry for hijacking.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I calibrate the refractometer every time. Although I mostly use a Pinpoint Salinity Monitor now and I love it. So easy.

EDIT: @hybridazn sorry for hijacking.

No need to apologize, one of the goals of my thread is to help others learn, be it from me or from the other great members we have in this forum who contribute on my thread :)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to apologize, one of the goals of my thread is to help others learn, be it from me or from the other great members we have in this forum who contribute on my thread :)

You can learn a lot from daniels thread!

That reminds me... You should give up your "Acro Killer" flair, the crown now belongs to @mdbannister

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can learn a lot from daniels thread!

That reminds me... You should give up your "Acro Killer" flair, the crown now belongs to @mdbannister
Dang!!, Rakie

(lol)
That's an beat down!!

---------------------------------------------------------
Testing.... Koo-Koo's... ;Wacky

Well, with the hanna alk checker.

You roll the vial back and forth when you add the reagent and that makes tiny micro bubbles.
So, I roll the display water the same way in the vial, to calibrate the checker.

:D

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang!!, Rakie

(lol)
That's an beat down!!

---------------------------------------------------------
Testing.... Koo-Koo's... ;Wacky

Well, with the hanna alk checker.

You roll the vial back and forth when you add the reagent and that makes tiny micro bubbles.
So, I roll the display water the same way in the vial, to calibrate the checker.

:D

Yup, I just flick mine up and down 5 times and then into the checker it goes lol. I mean I do wipe the glass clean with a microfiber towel first :p

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why hello everyone, yes I'm still alive lol

A LOT has happened since my last update, but the main update I will save for a later time. I do have this info to share though lol

Back in August my wife and i decided to start our own business. I've been detailing cars for many years but finally decided to dive in as a legit business. So with this and my full time job at the post office there hasn't been much time for my tank. It has been mostly on cruise control and my sps took a massive hit. I still do water changes but other maintenance took a backseat.

But whatever, nobody cares about what happened in the past lol, this past weekend was the LEAR Frag swap! I went ahead and picked up 3 new frags, no sps though. A hammer, favia and a zoa frag. I was totally content with this little pack I got. As I was walking around catching up with friends I went over to say hi to Tim (@aquavista99). We started talking and he knew something crazy things were going on with my tank, so to rejuvenate my love for sps, he gave me 5 totally awesome sps frags! I was completely blown away by this awesome gesture and def look forward to paying it back. @aquavista99 is a great guy and I'm honored to call him a friend.

So Sunday rolls around, all the new frags are in the tank and I'm ready to take pics. A massive wind storm comes thru the area and knocks out my power around 8pm last night. Usually when this happens the power comes back pretty quickly so I didn't get the generator out right away. Well because of the wind, the temps went from 55 degrees to 27 degrees outside in a hurry, and needless to say the house got cold quick. By the time I got the generator out and fired it up to run my furnace, tank and fridge it was 1am. Tank temp dropped to 66 degrees!

I'm beyond upset about this, I just can't seem to win with corals. The power came back on today around 4pm, the water is somewhat cloudy but no smells. I did a water change and changed out the carbon again. I'm hoping everything pulls thru.

I'll get some pics up when I can, but the tank looks super empty with not many corals.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why hello everyone, yes I'm still alive lol

A LOT has happened since my last update, but the main update I will save for a later time. I do have this info to share though lol

Back in August my wife and i decided to start our own business. I've been detailing cars for many years but finally decided to dive in as a legit business. So with this and my full time job at the post office there hasn't been much time for my tank. It has been mostly on cruise control and my sps took a massive hit. I still do water changes but other maintenance took a backseat.

But whatever, nobody cares about what happened in the past lol, this past weekend was the LEAR Frag swap! I went ahead and picked up 3 new frags, no sps though. A hammer, favia and a zoa frag. I was totally content with this little pack I got. As I was walking around catching up with friends I went over to say hi to Tim (@aquavista99). We started talking and he knew something crazy things were going on with my tank, so to rejuvenate my love for sps, he gave me 5 totally awesome sps frags! I was completely blown away by this awesome gesture and def look forward to paying it back. @aquavista99 is a great guy and I'm honored to call him a friend.

So Sunday rolls around, all the new frags are in the tank and I'm ready to take pics. A massive wind storm comes thru the area and knocks out my power around 8pm last night. Usually when this happens the power comes back pretty quickly so I didn't get the generator out right away. Well because of the wind, the temps went from 55 degrees to 27 degrees outside in a hurry, and needless to say the house got cold quick. By the time I got the generator out and fired it up to run my furnace, tank and fridge it was 1am. Tank temp dropped to 66 degrees!

I'm beyond upset about this, I just can't seem to win with corals. The power came back on today around 4pm, the water is somewhat cloudy but no smells. I did a water change and changed out the carbon again. I'm hoping everything pulls thru.

I'll get some pics up when I can, but the tank looks super empty with not many corals.

Sorry to hear about the storm, but sounds like the tank was not too bad off.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the storm, but sounds like the tank was not too bad off.

Yea I'm hoping I dodged a bullet. Just went and fed the fish and pulled my other mp40 wetside out to clean. The new sps have some PE so that's always a good sign

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back