Hydrogen peroxide?

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link, JR.

The general rule was to use diluted 35% food grade because of the carrier fluid in standard 3% fluid found at the drug store, I guess some brand are using metals as carried fluids..

JR,

JR, I didn't see anything about the metals in the link you supplied. Where did you find that out?

OP
OP
Yellowtang

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That came out of another forum and I'm sorry I don't remember where just something I remembered. I never payed it no mind and just use the stuff you get at wally world
because the MSDS on HP the only thing other than water is .05% but here is a link to info on HP..
http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=1239

not where I read it the first time but has all the same info part way down the page where it gets into the different strengths..

JR,

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general rule was to use diluted 35% food grade because of the carrier fluid in standard 3% fluid found at the drug store, I guess some brand are using metals as carried fluids..

JR,

I just checked the Walgreen brand called "Apothecary Hydrogen Peroxide 3%" It lists "Aactive ingredient Hydrogen Peroxide Stabilized
Inactive ingredient Purified Water"

For uses, it lists

"
* First Aid Antiseptic
* Oral Debriding Agent
"

which means it can be used as an oral rinse.

From what I can see, metals are not used as stabilizing agents. In fact, it appears to be just the opposite. At http://www.h2o2.com/intro/faq.html#4 there is an explanation about the stabilization. A few paragraphs below, it says,
[SIZE=-1]Stabilization. Since H2O2 decomposition is accelerated by trace levels of contaminants (esp. transition metals) stabilizers are added prior to shipping and storage. The type and level of stabilizer depends on the product grade, but generally consists of chelants/sequestrants such as inorganic and organic phosphates, and/or stannate and silicate. [/SIZE]
so it appears that the stabilizers are meant to counter the effect of trace contaminants.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stabilization. Since H2O2 decomposition is accelerated by trace levels of contaminants (esp. transition metals) stabilizers are added prior to shipping and storage. The type and level of stabilizer depends on the product grade, but generally consists of chelants/sequestrants such as inorganic and organic phosphates, and/or stannate and silicate

sounds like the phosphates and silicates in our tanks might cleat hydrogen peroxide.

also

hydrogen peroxide can be explosive and in fact was used as the oxidizer in the rocket car the went faster then the speed of sound. But that was a much higher concentration like 80-90% or more.

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydrogen peroxide can be explosive and in fact was used as the oxidizer in the rocket car the went faster then the speed of sound. But that was a much higher concentration like 80-90% or more.

Now that surprises me. Pure O2 is much more combustible than H202. H2O2 gives off water to release an O atom. You would think the rocket car would use pure O2, just like space rockets do.

OP
OP
Yellowtang

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave,
Cool I got another education today payed to get outa bed. The Walgreen brand looks like it could be a better version to use than Waly Worlds. The 35% food grade according to the link I supplied said it apeared more pure? (whatever). Plus I remember from some where that when diluting 35% to use distilled water (obviously for less contaninates) can't buy 35% around here anyways so no big deal.. Who wants to put up with diluting it anyways when you can get what you need anyways.

beaslbob,
sounds like the phosphates and silicates in our tanks might cleat hydrogen peroxide.. can you expand on this a little, if it cleated what would happen? I'm not getting the connection some days I get a little dense.

Not worried about building no rocket car so I wont be checking out the explosive tendenceis of high % peroxides..

JR,

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back