Hydros (re)setup

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Control 2 and 2x WiFi power strips on my prior tank.

I also have a 120 without any Hydros products connected.

Recently I purchased another Hydros (Control xs pack) for my 120.

The process was - disconnect the control 2, transfer some of the equipment to the new Waterbox tank, and then use the link cable to connect both systems.

In order to accomplish this, I disconnected the equipment from the Control 2. However, now that I’m trying to setup everything again, I am having problems reconnecting and reassigning the outlets. I removed the outputs and inputs, as well as the WiFi power strips. Now that im trying to reconnect them, it’s saying “linker idle” after holding the power button down on the device for 5 seconds until it blinks blue and purple.

Any advice for this? I’ve tried the above a few times with no luck. I haven’t even attempted setting up the control xs yet.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Control 2 and 2x WiFi power strips on my prior tank.

I also have a 120 without any Hydros products connected.

Recently I purchased another Hydros (Control xs pack) for my 120.

The process was - disconnect the control 2, transfer some of the equipment to the new Waterbox tank, and then use the link cable to connect both systems.

In order to accomplish this, I disconnected the equipment from the Control 2. However, now that I’m trying to setup everything again, I am having problems reconnecting and reassigning the outlets. I removed the outputs and inputs, as well as the WiFi power strips. Now that im trying to reconnect them, it’s saying “linker idle” after holding the power button down on the device for 5 seconds until it blinks blue and purple.

Any advice for this? I’ve tried the above a few times with no luck. I haven’t even attempted setting up the control xs yet.
Make sure the device that has the app is also on the same wifi channel you want the strips on. It has to be a 2.4ghz channel since the controllers will not connect to 5ghz.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’ll try that this morning.
Anonter thing I do if I have issues with the wifi devices for Hydros is reboot my router. That usually will fix most of the issue. I also have issue connecting to my wifi with my surface at times.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having trouble.
This is honestly pretty frustrating. If I had to guess, it’s because my router (UniFi) uses both 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

I’ve spent a good 2 hours today trying to get the hydros connected. It just refuses.

Compare that to my 2x Kasa power bars for $50 each. About 10 minutes total and everything is working flawlessly. Including WiFi connection and renaming outlets, adding schedules, etc.

The Hydros and GHL dosing pump are the only devices in my house that refuse to connect. Nothing else has even 1% of the nonsense that these devices have given. I sold the GHL because of it. I’m not far from selling the Hydros also.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I deleted each controller and used the magnet to the bottom left-hand side of the controller to reset and wipe the settings.

I restarted the router

I played with the settings of the router itself using the ip address. I created a new network attempting to use that as a stand alone 2.4ghz setting for the fish room.

I’m even connecting one of my older Google WiFi devices via Ethernet, and am planning to use that as a 2.4 ghz WiFi access point.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I deleted each controller and used the magnet to the bottom left-hand side of the controller to reset and wipe the settings.

I restarted the router

I played with the settings of the router itself using the ip address. I created a new network attempting to use that as a stand alone 2.4ghz setting for the fish room.

I’m even connecting one of my older Google WiFi devices via Ethernet, and am planning to use that as a 2.4 ghz WiFi access point.
Where in the setup process does it mess up. I have 12 Hydros controllers and have never had an issue getting them to setup on my netwrok. I do have a separate name for my 5ghz channel and I do not have a MESH type network. I use a Asus RT-AC1200 router. It is an older router. Have you though about getting a Access point and setting it up with a different name and password on a different channel from the regular wifi? You will have to connect the access point to the router with a cable and not wireless for it to work correctly. Also reseting with the magnet I would not do unless instructed to do so by CoralVue support. That should not need to be done. The initial setup of the wifi credentials is done via bluetooth. So the device you are using to setup with the app needs bluetooth turned on. Also some Android devices have issue setting up the Hydros. There is an item that needs to be turned on but I cannot remember since I do not use my phone for setup. I use my iPad most of the time for access. Also have you submitted a support ticket with CoralVue for this issue yet?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if it is only wifi strips you are having trouble with resetting the controllers will not help if they are connecting to the 5ghz channel of you wifi instead of 2ghz. Since they are rebranded Tuya protocol power strips they will connect to either 5ghz or 2.4ghz but if they are on 5ghz then the controllers cannot connect to them there. They have to be on the same channel as the controllers. When you are paring them make sure the device with the app is also on the same channel as the controller you are trying to pair to the wifi strips.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hearing about the WiFi connection issues I used one of my old routers and setup a 2.4 GHz channel specifically for my aquarium equipment. All the Hydros gear connected for me fine but for some reason my RedSea gear only likes to connect ti my main dual band 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz band.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do appreciate the help.

The only thing that worked was to setup a google WiFi as a wireless access point and connect each thing one by one. I’m glad it’s working but honestly it’s too complicated.

I won’t recommend the hydros unless the user is extremely tech savvy and patient.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back