I got tired of cleaning socks...ordered Filter media cups from BRS!

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 30 plus 4” socks that I use to change out every 2-3 days. Unfortuntely, that is the easy part. Turning them inside out, then soaking them in bleach, then rinsing and allowing them to completely dry..what a PITA! So I decided, like others I am sure, to use filter cups! I have two cup holders in my sump. The first, which always gets dirty first and most, will house some filter media, a 4”x 4” piece of media. For the second cup, I will use the included media bag for charcoal since I have nitrate issues. I didn’t want the filter floss to sink and not filter the water coming down from the overflow, so I put a piece of PVC pipe I had laying around, to hold it up. Here are some pictures..If anyone sees a problem with this set up, please let me know. Thanks!
F9680FBF-0DF5-4CAA-8CB4-CC457BF37CE3.jpeg

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Fluval 103 sponge to hold up the bonded pad that I cut into circles. Comes as 2 in a pack and I use 2 per red sea filter cup. Using 1 fits right where the slits are, 2nd one ensures that the bonded pad does not fall below as it collapses with debris. The bonded pad that I cut only last about 2 days, just grab it with 2 fingers and throw in a fresh one. I find that I can rinse them under a strong faucet and let them dry to reuse once. The sponges get rinsed out maybe once every 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Fluval 103 sponge to hold up the bonded pad that I cut into circles. Comes as 2 in a pack and I use 2 per red sea filter cup. Using 1 fits right where the slits are, 2nd one ensures that the bonded pad does not fall below as it collapses with debris. The bonded pad that I cut only last about 2 days, just grab it with 2 fingers and throw in a fresh one. I find that I can rinse them under a strong faucet and let them dry to reuse once. The sponges get rinsed out maybe once every 3 weeks.
Great idea! I will order some Fluval 103 sponges! Where did you buy them? BRS?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One cup has carbon in the free media bag and the other cup has GFO. But yes carbon, then 2 Fluval 103 sponges, then bonded pad.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, for those that do not want to use carbon or GFO in the media bags, this still works because there is a slight ledge before the lower section of the cup that the sponge will sit on and cover the upper section of the slits for your floss or bonded pad.
I was using a media reactor prior, that's why I kind of remember that just the 2 sponges can work.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, for those that do not want to use carbon or GFO in the media bags, this still works because there is a slight ledge before the lower section of the cup that the sponge will sit on and cover the upper section of the slits for your floss or bonded pad.
I was using a media reactor prior, that's why I kind of remember that just the 2 sponges can work.
Ok, thank you! I appreciate the idea and am ordering the Fluval filters now! And not from BRS..did you see the above comment? SMH

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I'll ever go back to filter socks for this setup. You don't get any more days between changing, might even get less but my routine with socks yikes!
I would pull the clogged socks out and make a mess while trying to drain and ring out the water.
Then I would flip them inside out and blast them under the faucet to rinse some of the dirt out.
There it goes into a covered cat litter pail until I accumulate 10 or so.
Then it would go into the washing machine with a 1/2 cup of bleach and an extra rinse.
Then flip them back and another wash and extra rinse.
Then they get hung up to air dry for 48 hours.
With the media cup setup, I don't even need to pull the cups out since the bonded pad is elevated because of the sponges. Just use 2 fingers to grab it and put in a new or cleaned pad and done.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I'll ever go back to filter socks for this setup. You don't get any more days between changing, might even get less but my routine with socks yikes!
I would pull the clogged socks out and make a mess while trying to drain and ring out the water.
Then I would flip them inside out and blast them under the faucet to rinse some of the dirt out.
There it goes into a covered cat litter pail until I accumulate 10 or so.
Then it would go into the washing machine with a 1/2 cup of bleach and an extra rinse.
Then flip them back and another wash and extra rinse.
Then they get hung up to air dry for 48 hours.
With the media cup setup, I don't even need to pull the cups out since the bonded pad is elevated because of the sponges. Just use 2 fingers to grab it and put in a new or cleaned pad and done.
EXACTLY!!! And that is what I was doing as well, just in a different way! This will definitely be the answer...well until Klir filter by Coralvue starts selling their sock holder insert that has a rolling mat! Have you seen the video? Its pretty cool and I was thinking they would gouge for the replacement mat but looks like it will be $15 and will last more that a month! You should check it out. I would send you the link but I have no idea how to do it except that I just Google Klir Fleece RollerMat. Let me know what you think...

Last edited:

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of the socks too. I bought filter cups that only have holes in the bottom. I cut filter floss to fit the bottom and change it out every other day or so. Marine Depot has them.

tdhnry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one of these with with chemi pure then filter floss on top. Carbon seems to be more effective running through there as well, as opposed to just sitting the media bag in the return section.

https://www.missionreefacrylics.com/product-page/4-acrylic-reef-sock-replacement

Thanks for that lead STL. I’ve been looking for a company in the states that makes high end filter cups. I was gonna order a set from Australia since they were the only ones I could find.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been looking at these also for my sump. I think I prefer the ones from saltwateraquarium.com that only have holes on the bottom, not the sides. I want the water to fully go through the floss before exiting. Makes me wish I had a 3D printer, lol.

Screenshot_20180719-224813.png

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back