I killed a beautiful fish.

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bump the sand bed to 6".

This fish can live in a warmer tank, but I would expect diminished life expectancy in such a tank.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always am upset over something like this. It takes me more time than I think I should mourning, but I do...

I got a catalina goby in my tank once, had him for almost a year. Didn't do the research as they are a 70°F fish as well. One day, gone. I knew it was going to happen once I read up on them. Let's put it this way, my GF likes to buy the "pretty fish" she sees and then doesn't heed any warning. I remember this one in particular, "it won't do well" I said, "it's a colder water fish" I said, "It's not going to live long" I said.

Although sad he perished under my care, there was no "I told you so" I said" going on; I know when to pick n choose my battles.

Sorry for your loss.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some conflicting opinions about the actual temps in the sea of Cortez where the BSJ comes from.

From Wikipedia:
The temperature of the water in the Gulf of California generally experiences lows of 61 °F (16 °C) in winter and highs of 75 °F (24 °C) in summer. But in reality, temperatures can vary greatly in the gulf, and the water is almost always warmer by the coast than the open ocean. For example, the waters surrounding La Paz reach 85 °F (30 °C) in August, while the waters in neighboring city Cabo San Lucas, only reach 79 °F (26 °C).[1][6][7][8]

This leads me to believe that it may be possible that the BSJ might be ok at normal aquarium temps. Even liveaquaria says 72-78 degrees, and they do mention that the catalina Goby is a cool water fish.

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't suggest it though.

The range of the BSJ is the eastern pacific (cold water currents), the tip of Baja California (Cabo), and in the lower 3/4s of the Sea of Cortes at a range of 5-25m in depth. That would definitely skew the habitat to the cooler water side versus shallow protected (e.g. warmer) coastal areas like La Paz.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only lasted 18 months at 76°. It seemed fine after one year, but after that went down hill. Not something I will ever out another fish through again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back