I messed up balling instructions and need help, please?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is not being supplemented until this is resolved so it's kind of an emergency. All concentrations are 1 gallon:

I did soda ash and trace A as instructed
Calcium chloride and trace K as instructed

Now I'm left with 1 dosing container and pump head, with a box of part C. I thought this was a 3 part system and C contained all of the magnesium needed.

Apparently I was supposed to have a 4th container of mag chloride?

Can I just combine the part C with the Mag chloride if I overnight some? On hand, I have a bottle of BW Magnesium. Could you give me an idea of how much to add to the C solution if able? Thanks.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my answer in another thread where Randy addressed this. I was in a panic, lol. BRS had me feeling like I seriously messed up when I read the mixing instructions.
BRS seems to have gotten methods confused here. The hybrid is a three part, and its really not a hybrid at all. It just swaps my calcium and ak recipes for the Tropic Marin Balling calcum and alk recipes, which are essentially identical materials (except possibly relating to the relative amount of bicarbonate and carbonate used).

The three part they were previously using was a version of my DIY system (my recipe #1), and the Part 3 is magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride.

The Balling Part C has magnesium and sulfate as its two biggest ingredients, and thus is duplicates one of the main aspects of the Part 3 of my formula. You will get too much Mg and sulfate using both as suggested by the dosing instructions.

A better way to go is to use the BRS calcium additive, the BRS alk additive (or DIY), and the Balling Part C, and then only add any other magnesium IF magnesium is declining.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 100 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back