I need an outlet "delay"?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The water level in my skimmer chamber (sump only has one chamber haha) rises when I turn of the return pump off for feeding. I connected the skimmer to the return pump outlet/switch so the skimmer isn't running when the water level rises, however, when I turn the pumps and the skimmer back on the skimmer often overflows in the time it takes the water levels to fall back to normal. Is there such thing as an outlet "delay" where I can flip the on switch for my pumps but there is a delay before the skimmer kicks on (just long enough for the water level to fall). . .

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level in my skimmer chamber (sump only has one chamber haha) rises when I turn of the return pump off for feeding. I connected the skimmer to the return pump outlet/switch so the skimmer isn't running when the water level rises, however, when I turn the pumps and the skimmer back on the skimmer often overflows in the time it takes the water levels to fall back to normal. Is there such thing as an outlet "delay" where I can flip the on switch for my pumps but there is a delay before the skimmer kicks on (just long enough for the water level to fall). . .

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a controller on your system already?
No hahah!

May I direct you to this picture of my set up:

IMG_0436.jpeg

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, your much better off getting a sump with multiple chambers so your water level doesn't change in the skimmer area. I get what your trying to do, but seems like a bandaid instead of a fix and prone to failure. Just my $0.02. Could probably get a cheap 20 gallon tank and some plexiglass for dividers cheaper or as cheap as what your trying to do.

Best of luck with your setup.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, your much better off getting a sump with multiple chambers so your water level doesn't change in the skimmer area. I get what your trying to do, but seems like a bandaid instead of a fix and prone to failure. Just my $0.02. Could probably get a cheap 20 gallon tank and some plexiglass for dividers cheaper or as cheap as what your trying to do.

Best of luck with your setup.
Not sure where you can find a sump that doesn’t change the skimmer chamber level when the return pump is off

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can tune your return pump to barely on instead of off for feeding your sump level should stay consistent. I agree that your sump setup is destine for disaster

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah that's my top off reservoir.

This is my sump:

IMG_0227.jpeg
Grab yourself a free bucket on recycle day, put skimmer inside it, back into the sump and let the water overflow from there into the sump. Might need to use a second bucket cut up to raise it higher if needed.
Maybe find one square or rectangular if you want to use bulkheads vs uniseals?
20200418_084909.jpg

Could be sourced free on recycle day. Left is actually a Feta Cheese bucket from a resturant, 4.5g, same as the square kitty litter. Don't use clear, they crack easily.

UV light will also degrade it and make it fragile, same with 5g buckets, be it Homedepot red, Lowes blue, food grade white, even Firehouse subs pickle bucket. Used as garden planter pots when I found that out. So if using as drain to display, keep in mind about UV light leaks from display if applicable.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can tune your return pump to barely on instead of off for feeding your sump level should stay consistent. I agree that your sump setup is destine for disaster
Ok ok, I can work on getting the tangle of cords under control! My problem has been that much of my equipment have the little power adapters/bricks making it challenging to fit them on most power strips. . . I am very open to suggestions!

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok, I can work on getting the tangle of cords under control! My problem has been that much of my equipment have the little power adapters/bricks making it challenging to fit them on most power strips. . . I am very open to suggestions!
You need to block those cords/outlets from being splashed and “drip loop” them. Please make sure they are on a gfci. That water is dangerously close

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20231022_143703564.jpg
Sorta like this, but I only could quick find a 7inch sock. That's a sca301 but should be plenty of room. A TidyCat litter bucket is roughly 14-5/8" tall x 11" x 8-7/8" interior dimensions. If you can fit 2 in your sump, you could also do a bucket refugium. Edit: bulkheads work good on them too.

When life gives you lemons. Bucket.

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you can find a sump that doesn’t change the skimmer chamber level when the return pump is off
multiple chambers. If setup correctly only your return pump chamber should change levels when return pump goes on/off or from evap, etc... need enough room in the return pump chamber to accommodate this. Here's an example. PS, can do this with just 2 chambers. For that small of a space, some kind of taller tank. May need to put the skimmer up on some sort of pedestal to get water height correct.

sump-design-diagram-gmacreef.jpg

Last edited:

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
multiple chambers. If setup correctly only your return pump chamber should change levels when return pump goes on/off or from evap, etc... need enough room in the return pump chamber to accommodate this. Here's an example. PS, can do this with just 2 chambers. For that small of a space, some kind of taller tank. May need to put the skimmer up on some sort of pedestal to get water height correct.

sump-design-diagram-gmacreef.jpg
Yes that is the typical set up. The overflow from my DT and pipes without a doubt would go closer to the rim of the sump when the return pump is off. I’ve never seen a setup that would only fill the 2nd and 3rd chambers when the pump is off. Cool if you can do it but never seen it.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Apex would solve this perfectly.

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Output Return_Pump = OFF Then OFF
Defer 03:00 Then ON

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the typical set up. The overflow from my DT and pipes without a doubt would go closer to the rim of the sump when the return pump is off. I’ve never seen a setup that would only fill the 2nd and 3rd chambers when the pump is off. Cool if you can do it but never seen it.
No, if you look at the diagram I posted the water flows from left to right. The water in chamber 1 can never get higher than the level of the overflow between chamber 1 and 2. Only way would be is if you had so much water drain back down when you shut your pump off that chamber 2 and 3 rose higher than the overflow. If that's happening, you should redesign your sump. In your sump, when return pump goes off, you should have enough space in chamber 3, that it's the only one that fills up due to the overflows. But you do you I guess.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 102 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back