I need help

tcorrell02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help, I have lost 2 fish in the past 24 hours, both were damsels. All fish act fine, no visible problems, ich, velvet, etc. No blatant aggression. 2 clowns, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 domino dot damsel, 1 3 stripe damsel, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 golden head goby, 1 scopas.

Ph 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate high, about 80

Getting ready to do a 50% water change. Only thing new is a couple of corals and a new light.
Any idea what is causing the death?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help, I have lost 2 fish in the past 24 hours, both were damsels. All fish act fine, no visible problems, ich, velvet, etc. No blatant aggression. 2 clowns, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 domino dot damsel, 1 3 stripe damsel, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 golden head goby, 1 scopas.

Ph 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate high, about 80

Getting ready to do a 50% water change. Only thing new is a couple of corals and a new light.

Any fin damage on the fish?
Were they breathing rapidly?
Did they stop eating prior to death?

OP
OP
tcorrell02

tcorrell02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fin damage on the fish?
Were they breathing rapidly?
Did they stop eating prior to death?
No, no and no. 1 was dead this morning and a crab got half of him, the other this afternoon. The second one was acting differently, not hiding in the rocks, just hanging out. 30 minutes later he was stuck to the wavemaker.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ph 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate high, about 80

If you could post a video on YouTube and the link - that would be helpful. I assume you're using API tests - and I'm also going to assume your ammonia is not 0.25. None of those chemicals would cause fish to die - so more information is required. If you look in my signature - You can see a list of questions to answer

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ph 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate high, about 80

What is ge of tank?
Are you using tap water from sink or RODI water?
Verify ammonia by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back