I need some guidance

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve had a 100L AIO tank for almost a year now. But lately I’ve been having some personal issues and have neglected the tank from any maintenance except for topping off with RODI water. I apologise and I am very shameful to admit that I’ve had 4 fish die leaving me with only my two clowns. I’ve also have some corals which are not in the best shape, I think my digi frag is dead and also my hammer coral is dead (looks like it.) I only have my anemone which looks deteriorating, my Yuma still opening, my zoas half opening and my GSP not opening at all (but I know they’re technically unkillable).
I’ve now had the time and the passion to “revive” my tank. Not to scrap anything and start a new one but start rebalancing my tank, as I may say. I’ve already did like a 40% water change and cleared most of the algae growing wildly.
What should I do first? Will it take long to rebalance my tank? Also, my skimmer is going ham and I’m not sure of why. I haven’t checked on my params yet, I will surely update them soon.
Is there any equipment or filter media that can help me combat my crazy imbalance, will my fish and corals survive? I’m really worried now as I feel so stupid for not doing this sooner but I’ve already got the courage now to make my tank a beautiful one.
Also, may I know what algae is this? It was all over the rocks and sand when I first changed the water.
42A18EFD-8B7A-46F6-9838-047DCD0B2426.jpeg

And from your experience and knowledge, my nem has lost colour and also maybe in size. It doesn’t open up anymore from how I got it 5 months ago. Will it survive or can I help to revive it?
2FA8F21A-EFE0-422E-99F4-3AE0707FF9D3.jpeg

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just like hair algae. Clean out all of your equipment and and get a good cuc to tackle your algae. Do a water test of your parameters. Do a few more large scale water changes and siphon out the sandbed. Maybe add in some high level chemical filtration like GFO or Carbon. Remove any dead or dying things to reduce it becoming a nitrite bomb. Try to manually remove as much algae and gunk as you can.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! My params are as so :
Ammonia : 0.15
Alk ; 8.0
Nitrate: 10
Phosphate:0.03

thats all I have test kits for. and my salinity is 1.024.

Surprisingly for me its in "normal" range. Im not sure about you guys but mind me and you that I have recently had a considerably big water change.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just like hair algae. Clean out all of your equipment and and get a good cuc to tackle your algae. Do a water test of your parameters. Do a few more large scale water changes and siphon out the sandbed. Maybe add in some high level chemical filtration like GFO or Carbon. Remove any dead or dying things to reduce it becoming a nitrite bomb. Try to manually remove as much algae and gunk as you can.
What kind of CUC are we talking about here? any suggestions? Ive already updated on the water params just now. I do have GFO now but not in a reactor unfortunately since I do not have the space and also the money to invest in one. I put it in a bag and run in in my filtration. My carbon just finished and Ill restock soon. Ive already removed dead animals and I will try my best to remove the algae.
one more thing, I do not have the most expensive aquariums so my glass isnt the best, is there any way to make my water clear and also my glass cleaner looking? It just seems dull. maybe its the algae

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a magnetic glass cleaner I like the flipper
Ive already got that, it just seems that there are these green algae (not hair) which is relatively hard to scrape off. ive used a sponge to clear it out but it still persists a little bit.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, is there any way I can enhance my aquarium? For example, flow, lights etc. Because right now, I only rely on my return pump's flow. No other powerheads. My aquarium is a cube. I use Aqua Spectra V2 for my lights. Im quite on a tight budget right now but any suggestions will be nice

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definetly turn up flow will help fight off algae as it will stop detritus from settling whichh will grow the algae.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the razor blade for the flipper? and is it the right size so it the magnet is strong enough to clean the algae.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the razor blade for the flipper? and is it the right size so it the magnet is strong enough to clean the algae.
Apparently Im not using the flipper exactly, I only have the magnet with no razor blade attached. Maybe thats the solution

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably have two pointing at each other or two at the back point forwards so the flow disperses itself as it hits the tank glass.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need an upgrade for the flipper just move the power heads around so there aren't any dead spots and lots of flow every where also so that flow goes into the overflow.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where stuff can be taken out by your filtration. I will probably leave the Cuc for a bit first so they don't starve if you solve the algae. Maybe add them in a week if the algae keeps growing. I would get some hermits, trochus snails, turbo snails, nassarius snails a conch or two and maybe an urchin if the algae still persists.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably have two pointing at each other or two at the back point forwards so the flow disperses itself as it hits the tank glass.
Should I place them at the top or the bottom of the tank to shake up residue on the sand bed?

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where stuff can be taken out by your filtration. I will probably leave the Cuc for a bit first so they don't starve if you solve the algae. Maybe add them in a week if the algae keeps growing. I would get some hermits, trochus snails, turbo snails, nassarius snails a conch or two and maybe an urchin if the algae still persists.
So I should try to remove them manually first before resolving to cuc. I'll try my best

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have them around the middle or you could have one at the top and one at the bottom. Just adjust them as needed.
Alright. In regards to light. should I change anything to combat this algae? Also, are my lights good enough to suffice a future beautiful reef tank (for alot of corals, sps and nems) ? Since my lights are considered budget lights.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want sand to blowing around and it won't really fix anything you have now but it will help prevent more algae growth. Just have all areas of the tank flowing and moving into your overflow.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. In regards to light. should I change anything to combat this algae? Also, are my lights good enough to suffice a future beautiful reef tank (for alot of corals, sps and nems) ? Since my lights are considered budget lights.
HIgher lighting will result in more algae growth. If your corals were growing fine before the tank got neglected you shouldn't have to upgrade them. I would leave that till later anyways.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back