I wanted to cry... Pictures will explain.

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is in LFS by me with thousands of bleached coral skeletons. I never buy anything from them.
I have also seen stores like this all over Florida.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me try to understand this thread...

someone is displaying dead coral and selling it. and it is compared to having your dogs skeleton mounted, taxidermy... and making people sick...?

these same people have seen a dinosaur skeleton love the museam and have a tank full of live rock that they take pics of, brag about, and get all warm and fuzzy when someone tells you how much they like your tank or how you did the aquascape in your tank....
I pick up dead skeletons every time I see them on the beach.

so this makes us all bad people? sorry guys, I dont think I need to go into how crazy this sounds .....

I cant imagine someone would spend the $$ to go diving and collect live coral to kill and make pennies when they could sell the live coral for allot more...

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me try to understand this thread...

someone is displaying dead coral and selling it. and it is compared to having your dogs skeleton mounted, taxidermy... and making people sick...?

these same people have seen a dinosaur skeleton love the museam and have a tank full of live rock that they take pics of, brag about, and get all warm and fuzzy when someone tells you how much they like your tank or how you did the aquascape in your tank....
I pick up dead skeletons every time I see them on the beach.

so this makes us all bad people? sorry guys, I dont think I need to go into how crazy this sounds .....

I cant imagine someone would spend the $$ to go diving and collect live coral to kill and make pennies when they could sell the live coral for allot more...

Should it be clarified that the reason for posting it was because it was all once beautiful coral and now unfortunately dead. There was never accusations on the reason they are now just coral skeletons rather than living coral.

I believe you are looking a little too far into things here. You think its silly for the people to compare it to other skeletons but feel comparing it to dinosaur skeletons at the museum is different?

I am also not sure where exactly it got brought in that people go out to collect and kill the coral to sell for this reason. The corals very well could of been dead to begin with, which is actually a bigger issue since there evidently is a lot of die off.

You also have to keep in mind that it doesn't always cost people a lot of money to go diving where coral is. Some parts of the world all you need is a mask and know how to swim to reach colonies of coral. I know its hard to believe in Northeast USA where we live.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting to apoint where our hobby could be at least 75% aqua cultured if not 90+% would be awesome, and a great acheivement of responsibility in our hobby... even better if we got to the point where we were working with organizations to put our corals back in the ocean.... i would donate coral frags of mine that are outgrowing themselves in my tank for a cause like that

I feel its a obtainable goal. The bigger issue I think isn't so much of the absence of corals but the environment the corals are dying off in. Parts of the reef are being polluted and effected by global climate change. Unfortunately I am not sure if just putting more coral back will be the absolute answer.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I believe you are looking a little too far into things here. You think its silly for the people to compare it to other skeletons but feel comparing it to dinosaur skeletons at the museum is different? "

I see you understand the point I was making :)

"Should it be clarified that the reason for posting it was because it was all once beautiful coral and now unfortunately dead. There was never accusations on the reason they are now just coral skeletons rather than living coral. "

well maybe its better the govt is putting tons of aluminum into the air to try and control weather so we dont have storms that break apart the reef like nature intended (this is sarcasm)

sad is what you dont see or hear about like the dredging of miles of the great barrier reef for the oil tankers because of all the oil they just found...

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Should it be clarified that the reason for posting it was because it was all once beautiful coral and now unfortunately dead. There was never accusations on the reason they are now just coral skeletons rather than living coral. "

well maybe its better the govt is putting tons of aluminum into the air to try and control weather so we dont have storms that break apart the reef like nature intended (this is sarcasm)

Lol.

sad is what you dont see or hear about like the dredging of miles of the great barrier reef for the oil tankers because of all the oil they just found...

Now your going off assumptions. I've known about "what you don't see or hear about". I've signed the petitions and spread word about it to those I know that would care.

I think you are just spiraling too deep into thought about all of this. I don't want to even amuse the conversation about the aluminum in this thread and don't even want to talk about how foolish it is for you to assume people don't hear about what goes on at live reefs.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it just seems having a reef tank and being upset to the point you want to cry because a store has dead coral skeletons is a major contradiction..

now if these people selling the skeletons got them by killing a live animal im right there with you! but I dont believe for a second the people selling these pieces killed anything. have you seen what happens when a hurricane comes threw? dead coral everywhere if they can make a $ selling a calcium carbonate rock all the power to them. in the hobby we call it dead rock, untill we let bacteria cover it then its live rock

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it just seems having a reef tank and being upset to the point you want to cry because a store has dead coral skeletons is a major contradiction..
Your taking it too literal, I don't even cry when I cut onions. Lol.. but kidding aside, really it was somewhat of a figure of speech and not meant to take literal.

now if these people selling the skeletons got them by killing a live animal im right there with you! but I dont believe for a second the people selling these pieces killed anything. have you seen what happens when a hurricane comes threw? dead coral everywhere if they can make a $ selling a rock all the power to them...

Your allowed an opinion, you and I both don't actually believe they killed all the coral and I don't even believe anyone even brought that up. I only have seen two hurricanes in my life, Irene and Sandy here on Long island. Other than that I was never in a tropical setting during a hurricane (fortunately). I have also seen my fair share of dead areas of a reef on numerous dive trips.

I also need to make my way up to Maine, its the only state in the Northeast I never got the pleasure to visit.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back