Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

reefinman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I only use this UV, nothing else. It also keeps my tank from periodic outbreaks. The bulb went out two years ago and I got ich a week later. Once I got the new bulb in it took two to three weeks , to rid the tank of Ich. My clown tang I believe is the culprit.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I only use this UV, nothing else. It also keeps my tank from periodic outbreaks. The bulb went out two years ago and I got ich a week later. Once I got the new bulb in it took two to three weeks , to rid the tank of Ich. My clown tang I believe is the culprit.
Then you are not "ridding" the tank of ich, only managing it

reefinman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where your coming from. I believe all fish carry the ich in their intestines. I was told when they are stressed it comes out.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where your coming from. I believe all fish carry the ich in their intestines. I was told when they are stressed it comes out.
1e8cb8f576dd7c32d5beff1a48ef83b7.jpg

The parasite lives on the fish, no part of the life cycle is in the fish.

Image from, and for further reading :
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/m/#publication?id=FA164

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only worms (sometimes called internal parasites) can live in a fish's intestines; not external parasites such as ich.

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have a question about cupramine. I discovered ich (maybe velvet?) in November and placed all the fishes in QT on November 14. They've since completed a 14-day course of cupramine. Unfortunately, I read somewhere that it's better to use half the recommended dose, and I was quite nervous about cupramine, so I followed that advice. I've since read that it's crucial to keep the dose up. The bottle suggests 0.5 mg/L. I kept it between 0.3 mg/L and 0.35 mg/L for 14 days, and now none of the fish are symptomatic. Should I treat them again, this time at the recommended 0.5 mg/L? Or is the dose I used high enough?

Maybe I should just observe them for the rest of the quarantine period and only re-treat them if I see symptoms?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have a question about cupramine. I discovered ich (maybe velvet?) in November and placed all the fishes in QT on November 14. They've since completed a 14-day course of cupramine. Unfortunately, I read somewhere that it's better to use half the recommended dose, and I was quite nervous about cupramine, so I followed that advice. I've since read that it's crucial to keep the dose up. The bottle suggests 0.5 mg/L. I kept it between 0.3 mg/L and 0.35 mg/L for 14 days, and now none of the fish are symptomatic. Should I treat them again, this time at the recommended 0.5 mg/L? Or is the dose I used high enough?

Maybe I should just observe them for the rest of the quarantine period and only re-treat them if I see symptoms?

It's recomended to run the copper treatment for 30 days at .5. You can just sit back and observe for a few weeks and see how it goes. Are you leaving the DT fallow for the 76 days needed? If so then you have some time in case you need to treat again.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's recomended to run the copper treatment for 30 days at .5. You can just sit back and observe for a few weeks and see how it goes. Are you leaving the DT fallow for the 76 days needed? If so then you have some time in case you need to treat again.

+1 As per numerous conversations I've had with Seachem, the minimum therapeutic dose for Cupramine is 0.35 mg/L. (I don't know why their website still says 0.2 mg/L.) However, it's very difficult to measure 0.35 on a hobbyist grade test kit, so best bet is to shoot for 0.5 and hold the line there for 30 consecutive days. This allows for some wiggle room just in case the Cu level drops a little.

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so just to make sure I'm 100% clear on this, I should treat for 30 days, even if the medication says to treat for 14 days. Right?

Also, yes, I'm going fallow for 76 days. Rather, I thought it was 72, but who's going to quibble over 4 more days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so just to make sure I'm 100% clear on this, I should treat for 30 days, even if the medication says to treat for 14 days. Right?

Also, yes, I'm going fallow for 76 days. Rather, I thought it was 72, but who's going to quibble over 4 more days.

Right. and it used to be 72 days but humblefish redid the math and it turned out it's 76 days total. :)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days is probably a bit overkill but it takes into account worst case scenario. And like you said, what's 4 more days? ;)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days is probably a bit overkill but it takes into account worst case scenario. And like you said, what's 4 more days? ;)

Thanks so much--you're both extremely helpful. Silver lining of all this is that it has converted me to a quarantiner. That's great news for all my future fishes.

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I catch all the fish but one a small fish it has been missing for a few days pretty sure it is dead should I pull the rocks to get it out or let the cleanup crew take care of it ? I do have a lot of rock in the tank though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back