Ich Management Protocol

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping a very close eye. I'd previously dosed H202 for 2 weeks for the royal gramma when he first showed spots, now he has none... maybe 1 spot every few days if at all.

That's my only concern here, the blue tang is quite young, and so I imagine it's immunity is not as strong or developed as yours. Hoping I can manage his condition to get him to where the Royal gramma is now... ideally down the line when possible I will absolutely QT all fish and go fallow. Must look into the green machine you mention, seems more practical than plumbing a UV in. Thanks!
I share your concern as well. Time will tell.
I’ve QT every fish that ever entered my system and STILL managed to get an infection. I was adding dipped corals throughout, so I guess maybe.

I think early infections are less of a problem in mature systems, with strong fish.

If they eat normally, this is a super big plus!

Best wishes

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What people call "Ich Management" I call immunity. Only very healthy fish can be immune. Using copper or any other chemical means to kill parasites goes totally against "my" Immunity theories.

You can read my thoughts on it here:

As I thought.
Right on the money IMM.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have read that a few times now. So it's one or the other basically.

Personally I'd much rather QT my fish, I'm not looking for a shortcut. It's just not possible for me at present to QT all fish, unless anyone thinks a 60 litre tank can hold 2 clowns, small blue tang, cardinal and a royal gramma? In which case I will.
Should be ok- focus on water quality and add aeration during the quarantine period

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best article I found on the Cryptocaryon parasite. Updated and informative. I was able to get over my Ich issue without much stress.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/raq.12594

"Yoshinaga and Dickerson (1994) observed, in laboratory studies, that theronts were released only between the hours of 2:00 am and 9:00 am, even in total darkness; some suggest this strategy increases the chance for theronts to find a host, as many fish may be resting or closer to substrate during this time period."

I turned up my flow at night while using both UV and Ozone as a prophylactic. But i am barebottom.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay!

Hopefully for my tang I still have time, as today I'd say it has around 10-15 spots at most. If I notice it getting worse, I can setup my QT tank and treat it on It's own as I have coppersafe to hand.

1) Can you give anymore info on using UV? My tank is around 300 litres. I think I read somewhere you want 1W per 5 gallons, so I'd need around 25W. Can you get UVs with their own pump? So as not to have to hard plumb them?

3) is there any reasoning behind this temp? I've mine set to 24.5-25°C (76.1-77°F). Can easily up to 78 but would higher temperatures not accelerate disease progression?

4) I have a sandsifting starfish, I'd be worried siphoning the sandbed would reduce microfauna and negatively impact the starfish.

5) Currently using 5 micron filter socks changed every 3-4 days plus a skimmer... would this suffice?

6) I know H202 is controversial, but I feel I'd rather use this over the reef safe meds... as when I tried them previously, my corals closed pretty fast even though I stuck to the guidelines closely.

1) Regarding UV, sizing them can be very difficult. The dose is dependent on wattage and flow rate. For your tank, I would say that 40 watts would be best. Here is some text that I wrote on that:

UV sterilizers
Ultraviolet (UV) sterilizers are also sold as a “cure” for Cryptocaryon. The problem is that most hobbyist-sized UV sterilizers do not have the power to make an effective kill on the relatively large Cryptocaryon parasite. Additionally, UV sterilizers are effective only on the tomite/theront stage, as this is the only point where the parasite is even present in the water column.

For velvet, Amyloodinium, the fallacy here is that tomites/theronts must leave the fish. Actually, some of them may get caught up in the fish’s mucus and stay attached until they become infective trophonts again. For Cryptocaryon, the tomites/theronts do seem to need to leave the fish, but with side stream application of UV (where only a portion of water passes through the unit) DWELL TIME becomes the limiting factor. Only a portion of the theronts are killed before enough of them attach to the fish to continue the infection. This means that UV sterilization will not eliminate active Cryptocaryon infections from a single aquarium. Where it does have benefit is in eliminating tomites as they pass through a filtration system from one discrete tank to another (like in a public aquarium or fisheries lab). Decades ago, diatom filters were touted as cures for ich and velvet. The same issue applies with them; there are adherent forms of these protozoans that can continue to infect the fish without ever having to leave the fish’s body. Even if they do, the same “dwell time” factor means that some theronts will still be present in the water column to infect the fish.

A recent study (Ge-Ling, 2022) indicates that the UV dose required to kill Cryptocaryon theronts/tomites is 185,000 uw/S/cm2. They do go on however, to conclude: “ …both ozone and UV are ineffective in controlling infection within an individual aquarium because of the adhesive nature of C. irritans tomonts (Ma et al., 2017). Therefore, the focus on UV and ozone treatment should prevent live theronts flow into aquaculture ponds. Second, the tomonts are strongly resistant to UV or ozone than theronts, implying that recommended production doses cannot wholly kill tomonts….”

2) 77 F. is fine

3) re: sandsifting starfish, that could be an issue, but leaving the resting tomonts in the tank is more of an issue, IMO.

4) Yes, 5 micron bag filters are great, as long as there is no "blow by", and all water goes through them.

5) H2O2 dosing really needs to be managed through test strips to measure the actual free peroxide levels, as those change over time. You simply cannot safely dose this at a level that will kill parasites, without testing to ensure that the free peroxide levels don't get too high. It is a real tightrope walk. Here is my article on peroxide use:

Jay

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I share your concern as well. Time will tell.
I’ve QT every fish that ever entered my system and STILL managed to get an infection. I was adding dipped corals throughout, so I guess maybe.

I think early infections are less of a problem in mature systems, with strong fish.

If they eat normally, this is a super big plus!

Best wishes
My system is at the least 17 months old, possibly more so I think it's well matured at this stage. Maybe that's why the royal gramma has developed an immunity (plus the fact it's healthy, and maybe also because it's wild caught).

This is another reason I'm curious about ich management, everyone I've spoken to echoes the same. QT'd and dipped and despite taking all necessary precautions, still get ich! We can't keep going fallow it would drive you mad!

My fish are great eaters, especially that tang... I swear I could keep feeding and it wouldn't stop eating until it explodes!

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok- focus on water quality and add aeration during the quarantine period
Oh right... I was under the impression 3 fish would be too many nevermind 5. Would they be OK in it for the full fallow period (76 days)? I have the option of adding a large canister filter to add a little more water/media for bacteria (after copper treatment of course).

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best article I found on the Cryptocaryon parasite. Updated and informative. I was able to get over my Ich issue without much stress.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/raq.12594

"Yoshinaga and Dickerson (1994) observed, in laboratory studies, that theronts were released only between the hours of 2:00 am and 9:00 am, even in total darkness; some suggest this strategy increases the chance for theronts to find a host, as many fish may be resting or closer to substrate during this time period."

I turned up my flow at night while using both UV and Ozone as a prophylactic. But i am barebottom.
I think I recall reading something along these lines in Humblefish's posts regarding nightly dosing of H2O2. I've not tried the nightly dosing yet as I had to go on holidays just before the 3rd week and didn't want to risk an overdose while I was away. I'm going to see the H2O2 through this time (providing no seriously ill affects and providing my tang improves) so I'll try nightly then too.

I do use night flow setting at present as my berghia have bred and I don't want the babies to be blown into Aiptasia lol something to consider though, I'll have a read, thanks!

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Regarding UV, sizing them can be very difficult. The dose is dependent on wattage and flow rate. For your tank, I would say that 40 watts would be best. Here is some text that I wrote on that:

UV sterilizers
Ultraviolet (UV) sterilizers are also sold as a “cure” for Cryptocaryon. The problem is that most hobbyist-sized UV sterilizers do not have the power to make an effective kill on the relatively large Cryptocaryon parasite. Additionally, UV sterilizers are effective only on the tomite/theront stage, as this is the only point where the parasite is even present in the water column.

For velvet, Amyloodinium, the fallacy here is that tomites/theronts must leave the fish. Actually, some of them may get caught up in the fish’s mucus and stay attached until they become infective trophonts again. For Cryptocaryon, the tomites/theronts do seem to need to leave the fish, but with side stream application of UV (where only a portion of water passes through the unit) DWELL TIME becomes the limiting factor. Only a portion of the theronts are killed before enough of them attach to the fish to continue the infection. This means that UV sterilization will not eliminate active Cryptocaryon infections from a single aquarium. Where it does have benefit is in eliminating tomites as they pass through a filtration system from one discrete tank to another (like in a public aquarium or fisheries lab). Decades ago, diatom filters were touted as cures for ich and velvet. The same issue applies with them; there are adherent forms of these protozoans that can continue to infect the fish without ever having to leave the fish’s body. Even if they do, the same “dwell time” factor means that some theronts will still be present in the water column to infect the fish.

A recent study (Ge-Ling, 2022) indicates that the UV dose required to kill Cryptocaryon theronts/tomites is 185,000 uw/S/cm2. They do go on however, to conclude: “ …both ozone and UV are ineffective in controlling infection within an individual aquarium because of the adhesive nature of C. irritans tomonts (Ma et al., 2017). Therefore, the focus on UV and ozone treatment should prevent live theronts flow into aquaculture ponds. Second, the tomonts are strongly resistant to UV or ozone than theronts, implying that recommended production doses cannot wholly kill tomonts….”

2) 77 F. is fine

3) re: sandsifting starfish, that could be an issue, but leaving the resting tomonts in the tank is more of an issue, IMO.

4) Yes, 5 micron bag filters are great, as long as there is no "blow by", and all water goes through them.

5) H2O2 dosing really needs to be managed through test strips to measure the actual free peroxide levels, as those change over time. You simply cannot safely dose this at a level that will kill parasites, without testing to ensure that the free peroxide levels don't get too high. It is a real tightrope walk. Here is my article on peroxide use:

Jay
Given how expensive UV equipment can be, and the info you and others have stated, I think I may just leave UV for now.

If I thought I could rehome my starfish and it would survive I would, but I've heard all too often how most reefers struggle to keep them alive. Mine has thrived for well over 17 months now with no issues so I'd be worried rehoming it would be a death sentence. I've avoided getting a watchman goby for similar reasons (competition for food in the sand). I wonder though, if the goby were say immune to crypto, would it's sandsifting aid in the reduction of tomonts by essentially eating them?

I was under the impression it would be too difficult to measure due to varying amounts of organic compounds etc. I'll have a read at your article on managing H2O2 tomorrow.

Thanks Jay and everyone else for your input! This site is a godsend, especially given that every group I use on Facebook (at least those NI based) are very quiet, no one ever gets into any real discussions or debates.... and even less people are willing to openly say they have parasites (possibly for fear of no-one buying their frags/fish lol).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh right... I was under the impression 3 fish would be too many nevermind 5. Would they be OK in it for the full fallow period (76 days)? I have the option of adding a large canister filter to add a little more water/media for bacteria (after copper treatment of course).
6-8 weeks sufficient. obviously, the longer you perform fallow is the best you will eradicate disease that require a host fish to reproduce.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-8 weeks sufficient. obviously, the longer you perform fallow is the best you will eradicate disease that require a host fish to reproduce.
I know Jay has a thread on a 45 day fallow period, just haven't had the chance to read it yet. A shorter fallow period certainly makes it more appealing, though I can't help but think at some stage down the line ich will just rear it's ugly head again! If I can't 'manage' this outbreak, and my tang deteriorates then fallow it is.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience, February 2021 I had an ich outbreak. I added a uv, dosed Polyp Lab Medic ( peroxide salts), fed heavily soaking all the food in Selcon, Vitachem and garlic extreme and increased water changes. I have not had ich since and I still have 5of the six of those fish. I lost a clown due to the other clown bullying it to death.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience, February 2021 I had an ich outbreak. I added a uv, dosed Polyp Lab Medic ( peroxide salts), fed heavily soaking all the food in Selcon, Vitachem and garlic extreme and increased water changes. I have not had ich since and I still have 5of the six of those fish. I lost a clown due to the other clown bullying it to death.
Starting to think ich management is a combination of the standard approach as you've described and summarised well, which can lead to Paul's 'immunity' approach.

These steps, while they won't completely eradicate ich, buys the fish more time to develop a strong immunity towards it.

I think for me, I'll try soaking food, increase feeds, include more natural seafoods & worms into their diet, and up water plus filter sock changes. So now I just need to order some selcon, vitachem and garlic.

As for the garlic, I wonder can one not simply use raw garlic soaked in rodi water? Or does too much garlic pose a risk?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if the oils are water soluble and would leak into the water in a sufficient amount, but I’m no expert. My wife is Italian, an expert with garlic. I’ll ask her and get back to you, lol.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is at the least 17 months old, possibly more so I think it's well matured at this stage. Maybe that's why the royal gramma has developed an immunity (plus the fact it's healthy, and maybe also because it's wild caught).

This is another reason I'm curious about ich management, everyone I've spoken to echoes the same. QT'd and dipped and despite taking all necessary precautions, still get ich! We can't keep going fallow it would drive you mad!

My fish are great eaters, especially that tang... I swear I could keep feeding and it wouldn't stop eating until it explodes!
All that’s great news. Maturity, stability and eating my lean the success in our favor.
I my case, impossible to go fallow so I call it mandatory ick management.
We share it appears to be very similar circumstances.
Maybe that parasite never leaves the system, IDK.
My fish are going to have to have immunity or perish.
I not ripping apart $10k in corals. I could replace every fish for $1k as cold as that sounds.
So far, all has returned to normal for months, so I have discontinued UV for now.
Best wishes.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that’s great news. Maturity, stability and eating my lean the success in our favor.
I my case, impossible to go fallow so I call it mandatory ick management.
We share it appears to be very similar circumstances.
Maybe that parasite never leaves the system, IDK.
My fish are going to have to have immunity or perish.
I not ripping apart $10k in corals. I could replace every fish for $1k as cold as that sounds.
So far, all has returned to normal for months, so I have discontinued UV for now.
Best wishes.
I agree, I was tempted to try and catch it today but I know it would be next to impossible. Plus the stress of chasing it alone may kill it.

I've noticed more spots on the tang :/ no change in behaviour but somethings telling me this might not end well. I went looking for vitamins in the LFS to soak the food in today, all I could find was seachem garlic extract. Not aware of any UK alternative to vitachem and selcon so need to do more research. Also got some nori but the tang is not used to the clip yet.

As peroxide serves the same function as UV I've held off on getting one for now. Just doing my best to try feed it as much as it'll eat and change filter socks more regularly. It's hard to find a solution or way forward without putting something at risk!

If anyone knows alternatives to selcon and vitacon here in the UK let me know please.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone got any opinion on using polyp lab medic over peroxide?
Personally, I don’t think either are very effective on Ick, but I have more concern with peroxide as it certainly is bad if dosed incorrectly or maybe ineffective in combination with UV.

I tried only once, 3% 1ml per 10g, every other day, for 6 days, so 3 treatments. At the same time lost a huge birdsnest, a monti, and a clam.

It appeared to “shrink” the corals, they loose colour.

So these days, Iam just letting whatever happens, happen, but ensuring rock solid chemistry and normal feeding routines.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone got any opinion on using polyp lab medic over peroxide?
I used it with adding a uv, increased water changes and heavy feeding with food soaked in Vitachem, Selcon and garlic extreme. I can’t say if all or one or more worked but it was part of what I implemented.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back